Updates 3/27/12 - Opera, CCleaner, Flash, SpywareBlaster

Virus & Spyware

Virus & Spyware
Perspectives on PC security, including antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall solutions.

Updates 3/27/12 - Opera, CCleaner, Flash, SpywareBlaster

• Opera v11.62 - March 27, 2012

for a list of changes, see http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/windows/1162/ 

update via the internal updater, or download directly from http://www.opera.com/browser/download/ 

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v2014 Free, MBAM Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, EMET+MBAE, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), CryptoPrevent, Secunia PSI.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

• CCleaner v3.17.1689 Released

(Build 1689) fixed bug in [its analysis/removal of temp files created by] Windows Media Player [which was present in yesterday's release, build 1688)

-
    Note:   Either wait about a week, until the  SLIM  build is released... or else, if you opt for the "full" installer now, be sure to UNcheck any offers for toolbars (or other programs) [unless you really want them].
    ====================
    Yesterday's build 1688 did the following:
    - Added wildcard support for Cookie cleaning.
    - Improved Google Chrome Saved Form Information cleaning.
    - Improved Google Chrome History cleaning for Search Engines.
    - Added Hosts history cleaning in Aurora.
    - Added Shortcuts history cleaning in Google Chrome Canary.
    - Improved JumpList menu to avoid possible UI lock.
    - Improved option to close running browsers when cleaning.
    - Improved IE AutoComplete Form History and Saved Passwords cleaning.
    - Improved shortcut cleaning in Windows 8.
    - Added cleaning for CyberLink PhotoDirector 10, DivX player and Snagit 11.
    - Improved cleaning for Vuze, Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player,
    Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 and Game Explorer.
    - Improved BitTorrent detection.
    - Minor bug fixes and improvements

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v2014 Free, MBAM Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, EMET+MBAE, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), CryptoPrevent, Secunia PSI.

• Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.228 

Direct download Links for WINDOWS

32-bit UNinstaller:  http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player_32bit.exe

64-bit UNinstaller:  http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player_64bit.exe

=====================================================

32-bit ActiveX for Internet Explorer:  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.2.202.228 /install_flash_player_ax_32bit.exe

64-bit ActiveX for Internet Explorer:  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.2.202.228 /install_flash_player_ax_64bit.exe

32-bit plug-in version for Firefox, Opera, Safari:  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.2.202.228 /install_flash_player_32bit.exe

64-bit plug-in version for Firefox, Opera, Safari:  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.2.202.228 /install_flash_player_64bit.exe

=============

Notes: 

1) The new Flash players now explicitly include their "bit type" & version number in the filename; the 32-bit Flash for IE is now named Flash32_11_2_202_228.ocx (rather than Flash11H.ocx ), and the 32-bit Flash for other browsers is named NPSWF32_11_2_202_228.dll

2) The new Flash players now include the ability to "automatically" update themselves.

Flash Player background updates (Windows) — New versions of the runtimes can now be delivered more effectively to the end user with this enhanced updating mechanism.

This is being implemented via a startup service FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe and a scheduled task Adobe Flash Player Updater

Upon installation, you can choose whether to 1) accept automatic updates, or 2) receive notification when updates are available, or 3) not to check for updates at all.   You can later modify your decision via  Control Panel  / Flash Player / Advanced (tab).

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/background-updater-windows.html

• SpywareBlaster Database Update - March 27, 2012

18 - Internet Explorer
    0 - Restricted Sites
    0 - Firefox

15092  items in database

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Remember to enable all protection after updating.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

WOT Web of Trust    Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

(Mostly) Free Security Software- A Primer

Windows 7 Home Premium (64- Bit), Panda Cloud AV Free, OpenDNS, SpywareBlaster, MVPS Hosts file, WinPatrol PLUS, IE11, HitmanPro (on-demand 2nd opinion AV scanner),HitmanPro.Alert. Windows software firewall, MBAM Premium, CryptoPrevent, Zemana Antilogger Free, Secunia PSI, WOT, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free, Emsisoft Anti-Malware Free.(yeah, it's probably overkill).

• This is being implemented via a startup service FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe and a scheduled task Adobe Flash Player Updater

kb2.adobe.com/.../cpsid_92218.html

ky331,   The above link appears to be broken.  

Forum Member Since 2001

• David.

The links above for Flash Player, at least the 32 bit v., download v. 11.1.102.63. NOT 11.2.202.228

Hernan.

Dim9200/XPS 410.C2D 2.40GHz.2GB RAM.XP Pro_86 SPk3.IE8 & FF33.1

Avast!Free 2015. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

• Annie,

Thank you.  The link was active when I posted it last night.  But yes, it has since been removed/"broken".   I have updated my post with an alternative link, which is correct [at least, at the moment].

------------------------------------------------------------

Hernan,

Thanks also.   I had copied/pasted some information from another post, and then went to update it for the latest version.   The corrections appeared "on screen" (only), but not in the underlying HTML coding.   I believe I've corrected that now.  Please try again.

=================================

Note:   The Secunia PSI is NOT yet recognizing the newest Flash 11.2.x.   When I scan, it's simply "not finding" Flash at the moment...

• Secunia PSI scanner is now recognizing my Flash 11.2x as patched.

Adobe released info today (March 12) on the "highly critical" security vulnerabilities this Flash update addresses:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb12-07.html

Unfortunately, it does not patch another highly critical Flash vulnerability still listed by Secunia PSI>Secure Browsing  in all my browsers for some time now:
    http://secunia.com/advisories/47161/

In other Flash news, Adobe announced today it is dropping support for IE6:

"Since Flash Player 11 was first released in September 2011, we have continued to maintain Flash Player 10.3 with security updates for users who cannot update to the current version of Flash Player. In support of Microsoft’s initiative to get the world to drop Internet Explorer 6 and upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer for a safer browsing experience, Adobe will be dropping support for Internet Explorer 6 starting with today’s release of Flash Player 10.3."
    http://blogs.adobe.com/asset/2012/03/an-update-for-the-flash-player-updater.html

I'm sure most readers of this forum would have upgraded from IE6 long ago. Those who have not are leaving themselves wide open to Adobe products' vulnerabilities.

Windows 7 Home Premium (64- Bit), Panda Cloud AV Free, OpenDNS, SpywareBlaster, MVPS Hosts file, WinPatrol PLUS, IE11, HitmanPro (on-demand 2nd opinion AV scanner),HitmanPro.Alert. Windows software firewall, MBAM Premium, CryptoPrevent, Zemana Antilogger Free, Secunia PSI, WOT, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free, Emsisoft Anti-Malware Free.(yeah, it's probably overkill).

• SLIM build for CCleaner v3.17 now available:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

• RE: The new Flash Player Updater.

Anyone notice that if you select "Never check for updates" during install (or later?),  the Flash Player updater still runs. Check Windows Task Scheduler, the FP update task is still enabled.

And apparently here's why...

6. I have the Background Updater disabled, but the service still starts every hour. Why?

The Background Updater will launch every hour and will check if it is enabled. If it isn’t, no network traffic will ever be generated by the Background Updater and it will shut itself down after only a few milliseconds, saving valuable CPU and memory resources. This allows you to enable the Background Updater from the Flash Player Settings Manager in the Windows Control Panel at a later point without having to reinstall Flash Player.

<Bold is mine>

Source

What is this madness??? Seriously! The background updater will launch every hour to check if it is enabled? ...ROFL!

Why, when the updater is told to never check, can it not just stay disabled? Idea

For now, I've temporarily disabled the task and related service. Come tomorrow though, I'm probably going to delete them altogether.

Regards,

• I've been reading all sorts of strange posts about the Flash automatic updates, but have to confess I haven't seen anything here yet, RD.

Then again, when I installed the latest version, I selected the "notify me, but do not install" option. I have received no notifications from Adobe about Flash.

• Since I wanted to maintain complete control over when (and if) flash is updated --- as well as not run any "unnecessary" startup services nor scheduled tasks ---  I told it to never check for updates, I removed [or at least, disabled] the scheduled task, and I disabled the startup service.

I take for granted nothing would be running under these conditions.

• I've gone ahead and deleted the Task, Service and associated files for the Flash updater. No noticeable ill effects so far. The nuisance is that I will probably have to repeat this every few weeks or so, whenever a new Flash update is released.

Here's how, if anyone is interested.

From an elevated CMD:

sc delete AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc

del C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe

del C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg

Lastly, delete the scheduled task ("Adobe Flash Player Updater") from Windows Task Scheduler , or from this folder:  C:\WINDOWS\Tasks

Note: The above is for 32bit systems only, 64bit instructions will no doubt be slightly different.

(Credit to OXO over at DSLReports)

--------------------------------------------------------------

On a related note, did anybody run the latest flash uninstaller and notice anything strange?

When I execute the uninstaller, as expected, a confirmation window appears asking whether I want to run the file. I select run, but then a 2nd confirmation window appears asking again if I want to run the file.

I was thinking maybe I had executed the uninstaller twice, so I right-click the uninstaller and select open, same result.

Here's what I found strange though, the 2nd run window initiates a UAC prompt, while the 1st one does not.

Would someone be kind enough to test this for me? So I can confirm if it's just happening to me, or not.

Download the flash uninstaller for Windows here.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows. html

I used the 32bit uninstaller.

All I need to know is if you are presented with 2 consecutive Run windows after executing the uninstaller. No need to uninstall your flash player.

Thanks.

Regards,

• RD,

re: the flash uninstaller, I am indeed getting two prompts for it:   First, an "Open File - Security Warning"; and then a UAC prompt... on Windows 7.

(I would assume Vista's prompting would follow Win7's.)

However, under XP, I only get the first prompt (as there is no UAC there).

=========

As for the flash task and service, any reason why you've decided to remove all traces of their files, rather than merely disabling them?   (The savings in disk space should be inconsequential.)   

• Thanks for testing, ky.

Are you only getting only one instance of an "Open File - Security Warning", followed by a UAC prompt?

What I'm seeing every time is an "Open File - Security Warning"; I click run, then this is followed by another  "Open File - Security Warning"; and then finally a UAC prompt.

Regards,