Using Dell Factory Image Restore to rid puter of bugs????

Virus & Spyware

Virus & Spyware
Perspectives on PC security, including antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall solutions.

Using Dell Factory Image Restore to rid puter of bugs????

This question is not answered

System: Laptop (XPS M1730).

I got the virus around 10-days ago. I have problems starting the machine and moving along in the startup process. Then windows pop up with ads. I purchased the program "Spyware Dector." It did detect tons of bad stuff on the machine, and for the most part, it has removed most of those popup (whole window) ads, but some are still coming through, along with the start up problems. I'm using Firefox. When I use Explorer, the windows pop up like crazy. For the record, all of the Windows updates up-to-date and use full protection McAfee (which obviously does not fully protect against adware [which is technically not a virus]).

In searching through my Owner's Manual for my puter, I see three options outlined for restoration:

1. System Restore - which takes the last saved session (assuming that you HAVE saved your operating system before) and restores it. I never did this so there are no saved sessions for me.

2. Factory image restore - which is an operation you run at the beginning of your boot-up that will restore: "..returns your hard drive to the operating state ir was in when you purchased your computer."  This will remove ALL software and data files YOU have installed after you took it out of the box when you got it from Dell.  Install your McAfee right away if you choose this option (or whatever protection you have for your pc)

3. Restore using the "Operating System Media" disc. This will restore the OS on the machine -- and that's it. You have to install everything else on it yourself.  This is to be used as a last-ditch effort to begin again.

I am going to try option #2. I have only a few programs I have installed on my machine so reinstalling them and all of McAfee does not pose a problem.

HERE's my question to the people who might know................I just want to make sure that when I do this, all of the virus' and other creepy things that have snuggled their way onto my puter will be toasted as well.  Is this true?

Thanks for listening.
DMViolated

All Replies
  • Hi DMViolator, and welcome to the forum:

To answer your question, yes. Using the factory image restore will restore your PC to "Day One" and should remove all the adware. It will also wipe all your data files and programs you currently have. Seems a bit drastic to me, particularly since we have many members here who are expert at malware removal without resorting to this option. There are many free adware/spyware removal programs available that might solve your problems.

Incidently, you say you purchased "Spyware Dector". If in fact you have "Spyware Doctor", you might be interested in  the results I had when I tested this program on two occasions over the past 2 years. It is not an antimalware program I would recommend:
    http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19124785/19247894.aspx#19247894

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

WOT Web of Trust    Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

(Mostly) Free Security Software- A Primer

Windows 7 Home Premium (64- Bit), Panda Cloud AV Free, OpenDNS, SpywareBlaster, MVPS Hosts file, WinPatrol PLUS, IE11, HitmanPro (on-demand 2nd opinion AV scanner),HitmanPro.Alert. Windows software firewall, MBAM Premium, CryptoPrevent, Zemana Antilogger Free, Secunia PSI, WOT, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free, Emsisoft Anti-Malware Free.(yeah, it's probably overkill).

• Welcome to the forums Yes

DMViolator

1. System Restore - which takes the last saved session (assuming that you HAVE saved your operating system before) and restores it. I never did this so there are no saved sessions for me.

That's surprising, because... as far as I'm aware,,, a restore point should be created each time your system is rebooted/turned off?

If you confirm there are none however, option 2 (factory restore) is your best bet.

DMViolator

3. Restore using the "Operating System Media" disc. This will restore the OS on the machine -- and that's it. You have to install everything else on it yourself.  This is to be used as a last-ditch effort to begin again.

As advised... do NOT use this option - unless you're 100% happy with the consequences!

It's an option many of us prefer, but it's not one somebody who's relatively new to computers should choose, because a 'clean' install wipes the hard drive completely.

You'll subsequently lose the all-important 'Restore' partition (as well as all the others of course) - and there's no way of restoring it (/them)!

Regarding Spyware Doctor:  Your XPS M1730 should've had an internet security program (usually McAfee) pre-installed, so I don't know why you felt it necessary to buy Spyware Doctor?

There are also plenty of good FREE anti-virus and anti spyware/malware programs available, so it wasn't necessary to pay for one.

Spyware Terminator is a good 'real-time' anti spyware program. 

"Real-time" simply means it loads at startup, and runs in the background, helping prevent spyware/malware getting onto your system in the first place Idea

But you should also install a couple of others - i.e. Microsoft's Windows Defender, Ad-Aware 2008, Spybot S&D (Search & Destroy), etc.

FREE anti virus programs include Avast! Home Edition, Avira AntiVir Personal Edition, AVG Free Edition, etc etc.

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)