Can I specify the capacity of RAID 10 DM and RAID 6-6 disk space in Tier 1 of SCv2020? - Compellent - Storage - Dell Community

Can I specify the capacity of RAID 10 DM and RAID 6-6 disk space in Tier 1 of SCv2020?

Storage

Storage
Information and ideas on Dell storage solutions, including DAS, NAS, SAN and backup.

Can I specify the capacity of RAID 10 DM and RAID 6-6 disk space in Tier 1 of SCv2020?

This question has been answered by Michael Tanenhaus

Dear all,

For Example 20% using for RAId 10 DM and 80% using for RAID 6-6.

Thanks,Natthpahol.

Verified Answer
  • Short Answer - NO!

Long answer - thats a good thing. Compellent optimizes (by default) the RAID level per block based on what provides the best performance. So in a default world writes are done in RAID10/DM and then those blocks are converted to RAID5/6 in a 24-48 hour period depending on snapshot schedule. From a read point of view there is no benefit of RAID10 - and so it should be minimized.

You can override per volume this behavior if that default doesnt work.

• www.dell.com/.../storage-profiles-for-scv2000-series-controllers

All Replies
  • Short Answer - NO!

Long answer - thats a good thing. Compellent optimizes (by default) the RAID level per block based on what provides the best performance. So in a default world writes are done in RAID10/DM and then those blocks are converted to RAID5/6 in a 24-48 hour period depending on snapshot schedule. From a read point of view there is no benefit of RAID10 - and so it should be minimized.

You can override per volume this behavior if that default doesnt work.

• Dear Michel,

Thank you for your advise. Could you please explain more what kind of option I can do to override per volume?

Best regards,

Natthaphol.

• www.dell.com/.../storage-profiles-for-scv2000-series-controllers

• Dear Michael,

Thanks, Can I change the storage profile during the storage system in running? Is there online or I have to move data first?

Best regards,

Natthaphol.