VSM support for vSphere 6.5? - EqualLogic - Storage - Dell Community

VSM support for vSphere 6.5?

Storage

Storage
Information and ideas on Dell storage solutions, including DAS, NAS, SAN and backup.

VSM support for vSphere 6.5?

This question has been answered by DELL-Donald Wi

Now that vSphere 6.5 is out, is there an ETA on an updated VSM that is supported/compatible with it?

It seems that we have to wait to upgrade till then since we're using VVOLs. :)

Verified Answer
  • Hello, 

Yes. MEM runs on the ESXi node, it does not require vCenter itself.  vCenter's role is to provide the sufficient license to the ESXi to allow MEM to run.   MEM itself has no interaction with vCenter. 

Regards, 

Don 

ps. It's best to create a new topic when the subject changes.  This allows others searching for this to find the answer more easily. 

Social Media and Community Professional
    #IWork4Dell
    Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

All Replies
  • Hello, 

vSphere v6.5 hasn't been released yet AFAIK.  I just double checked the VMware sight as well. 

There has not yet been an announcement on the next VSM, you would need to contact your reseller and get an NDA in place to discuss the product roadmap. 

Regards,

Don 

#IWork4Dell

• 6.5 is GA now.

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2016/11/vmware-announces-general-availability-vsphere-6-5.html

Regards
    Joerg

• My apologies.  I went back to the VMware site and was able to find the 6.5.  The Product pull down menyu still only showed 6.0. 

Don 

#IWork4Dell

• Hello.

Is VSM already available for vSphere 6.5?

• Hello, 

Not yet.  

Don 

#IWork4Dell

• Any update on this one?

• Hello, 

Not yet, best I can say is it's expected this spring.   For more specific information you would need an NDA with your Sales rep. 

Regards, 

Don 

#IWork4Dell

• Hi Donald,

Could MEM 1.4 be used on an ESXi 6.0 host that's connected to vCenter 6.5 server?

Thanks.

• Hello, 

Yes. MEM runs on the ESXi node, it does not require vCenter itself.  vCenter's role is to provide the sufficient license to the ESXi to allow MEM to run.   MEM itself has no interaction with vCenter. 

Regards, 

Don 

ps. It's best to create a new topic when the subject changes.  This allows others searching for this to find the answer more easily. 

#IWork4Dell

• Thanks for clarifying Don!  I assume VSM would not play well with vSphere 6.5 though right?

At this point I need to create a new buildout and would prefer to use vsphere 6.5 with 6.0 hosts.  VSM can wait until a new version comes out.

• Hello, 

You are most welcome. 

Re: VSM. Correct, VSM isn't supported for v6.5 yet.  Expected spring time.  

That's what a lot of users are doing.  Upgrading VCS to v6.5 so the move to 6.5 later will be very easy. 

Regards,

Don 

#IWork4Dell

• I have installed VSM 4.6 with vSphere 6.5 and it has worked as expected. I have advised my customer that they shouldn't use it until an official release is out.

v6.5 has been out for some time now and Dell really need to get there finger out and release updates in a timely fashion. My customer was sold on the ease of use and integration of Equallogic systems. There are other manufacturers out there that we could have installed that have already sorted these integrations.

MS

• I talked to the pro support today.

ETA for VSM 4.7 .0 (with VMware® vCenter Server 6.5 support) should be 29.6.2017.