Dell PS6100 Replication and DR question - EqualLogic - Storage - Dell Community

Dell PS6100 Replication and DR question

Storage

Storage
Information and ideas on Dell storage solutions, including DAS, NAS, SAN and backup.

Dell PS6100 Replication and DR question

This question has been answered by DELL-Donald Wi
Hello everyone, I have 2 PS6100 SAN's in two different site (site A and site B) for DR purposes. The VM .vhd files are stored in a volume on the SAN at site A. Then that volume is replicated to site B. Replication is working fine. Our DR process is as follows: When site A VM goes down. 1) We pause the volume replication from site A to site B. 2) We turn on the VM at site B. 3) We promote the inbound replica at site B. 4) We attach it to the Hyper-V host using ISCSI initiator. 5) Bring volume online on Hyper-V Host and assign a drive letter. 5) Then attach to VM. My question is, can the PS6100 replicate volume to volume? So I don't have to go through this process. I would like to just turn on the DR VM in site B and have the volume attached. Details of both sites: Microsoft Windows Server 2008R2 Host Servers Microsoft Windows Server 2008R2 VM's Dell EqualLogic PS6100 40Mbps WAN link
Verified Answer
  • Hello,

No.  There's no live replication like that.   You would need to look at a host based replication for that capability.   You can only promote or clone a replica in order to gain access to it.

Regards,

Social Media and Community Professional
    #IWork4Dell
    Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

All Replies
  • Hello,

No.  There's no live replication like that.   You would need to look at a host based replication for that capability.   You can only promote or clone a replica in order to gain access to it.

Regards,

Social Media and Community Professional
    #IWork4Dell
    Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro