member space missing? - EqualLogic - Storage - Dell Community

member space missing?

Storage

Storage
Information and ideas on Dell storage solutions, including DAS, NAS, SAN and backup.

member space missing?

This question has suggested answer(s)

PS4100E is configured in RAID 50 with 2 spare disks.

Total member capacity is showing 6.97TB.

It says 3.56TB is used by Volumes

3.52TB Free space.

But when I go to create a new 1 TB Volume it says maximum 65GB? Volume exceeds max size limit, Not enough space in pool default.

Where is the rest of my space? Is it being reserved for snapshots? How do I free it back up so that it becaomes available for new Volumes. We are not taking any snapshots.

All Replies
  • If you don't set the snapshot reserve to 0% then when you create volumes, it will automatically reserve 100% of the volume size for reserve.  Check each volume to see if you have reserved an snapshot space.  You can set them to 0% at anytime w/o interfering with ongoing IO.   In the Group Configuration you can set the default SR to 0%

Also it depends on where you look to see free space, at the group or member level will show slightly different views of the storage.

Social Media and Community Professional
    #IWork4Dell
    Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

• Thanks I changed it to 0% and I am now able to access the missing 3.5TB.

• You're welcome!  However, leave at least 5% of the array space UNALLOCATED.   Don't use every bite of space.  

#IWork4Dell

• Is there a way to reserver that so that somebody doesn't accidentally use it?

• No unfortunately.  You have to control who has access.   If you have large volumes with little data written to them, then thin provisioning them will give you allot of free space to work with.  Just remember it will get used up as time goes on.

#IWork4Dell