PS6100 - Restart Warning/Error Messages - EqualLogic - Storage - Dell Community

PS6100 - Restart Warning/Error Messages

Storage

Storage
Information and ideas on Dell storage solutions, including DAS, NAS, SAN and backup.

PS6100 - Restart Warning/Error Messages

This question has been answered by DELL-Donald Wi

Hi guys,

We currently have two PS6100s set up in a group and have volumes which are tiered between the two SANs.

From my understanding, I thought that if I restart an Equallogic member (via the GUI), the secondary controller should take over so that existing iSCSI connections are maintained and operation remains uninterrupted.

However in my case when I restart a member, I notice warning and error messages like the following:

• [ ERROR ] Control module in slot 0 is not functioning or not installed. (Sometimes it says control module in slot 1)

• [ ERROR ] Device on the network has the same IP address as the group. (This shouldn't be the case as it's a private VLAN and nothing else is on it)

• [ ERROR ] iSCSI login to target '.........' failed for the following reason: Connection login timed out

• [ WARNING ] Warning health conditions currently exist. Correct these conditions before they affect array operation. Control module was removed from array. Active control module cannot communicate with secondary control module. Failover cannot occur.

• [ WARNING ] Warning health conditions currently exist. Correct these conditions before they affect array operation. Active control module cannot communicate with secondary control module. Failover cannot occur. There are 1 outstanding health conditions. Correct these conditions before they affect array operation.  

But after about a minute or two everything comes back online and is operating fine.

I just wanted to know if this was normal behaviour of the Equallogics.

Verified Answer
  • Hello,

When you restart a controller, it does failover, however, you can't maintain iSCSI connections during that time.  They are dropped and the initiators will have to log back into the array.  

The Controller issues are because you issued the restart and CM0 was the active CM.  If you do it again, CM1 will be active.  While that CM is rebooting it's not available to the new primary CM but it knows that there should be a passive CM.  

Re: Duplicate IP.  Are the switch ports set to 'portfast'?    That message means that both arrays tried to be the group lead for a moment as a result of the member you restarted was the group lead at the time.

Re: Connection login timeout.  are you running ESXi v5?   If so there's a new tech report on how to configure iSCSI and ESXi v5.0.  on the Equallogic Website.   www.equallogic.com/.../DownloadAsset.aspx

The other warnings are just letting you know that until the restart finishes and the passive CM comes back you're not fully redundant.

Regards,

Social Media and Community Professional
    #IWork4Dell
    Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

All Replies
  • Restarts are disruptive, but you are meant to take enough precautions with your attached hosts that it becomes transparent to operating systems and applications. I recommend a thorough reading of the firmware upgrade guide, which has the most details on the steps you need to take for Linux and Windows configurations.
  • Hello,

When you restart a controller, it does failover, however, you can't maintain iSCSI connections during that time.  They are dropped and the initiators will have to log back into the array.  

The Controller issues are because you issued the restart and CM0 was the active CM.  If you do it again, CM1 will be active.  While that CM is rebooting it's not available to the new primary CM but it knows that there should be a passive CM.  

Re: Duplicate IP.  Are the switch ports set to 'portfast'?    That message means that both arrays tried to be the group lead for a moment as a result of the member you restarted was the group lead at the time.

Re: Connection login timeout.  are you running ESXi v5?   If so there's a new tech report on how to configure iSCSI and ESXi v5.0.  on the Equallogic Website.   www.equallogic.com/.../DownloadAsset.aspx

The other warnings are just letting you know that until the restart finishes and the passive CM comes back you're not fully redundant.

Regards,

Social Media and Community Professional
    #IWork4Dell
    Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro