snapshot backups via backup exec 2010 r3 fail - EqualLogic - Storage - Dell Community

snapshot backups via backup exec 2010 r3 fail

Storage

Storage
Information and ideas on Dell storage solutions, including DAS, NAS, SAN and backup.

snapshot backups via backup exec 2010 r3 fail

This question has suggested answer(s)

I am trying to set up backups to use the san snapshots for zero impact during production days. Doing a test backup from drive z: on the file/media server which is a mapped drive from the san to a disc location on our sas powervault attached to the same server I keep getting an error and failure every time i activate the advanced disk based backup option stating that the remote agent is not available or installed. The same backup without activating ADBO runs fine with no errors. The same server has backup exec 2010 r3sp1 installed on it and as far as i know should not need to have the remote agent installed on it. Am I missing something?

All Replies
  • You still need the BUE agent on the server.   It has to talk to the VSS service to get the snapshot created. Also, the BUE and host to be backed up must be the same OS.  I.e. 2003 or 2008.   Otherwise ADBO won't work.  Symantec has a PDF on their website that walks you through the process.  One issue is that it says to give the BUE server access to both VOLUME and SNAPSHOT.  It should only be SNAPSHOT.   You will also need to install the EQL HIT kit on all the servers to be backed up and the BUE server.   The BUE server needs a NIC on the SAN subnet also.  

Regards,

-don

Social Media and Community Professional
    #IWork4Dell
    Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

• So what you are saying is that Backup Exec can not be on a normal production server since any of these would have to have access to the volume since this is where all data is being stored. We would need to buy a separate hardware server just to run backup exec, or wait until we start virtualizing in order to use the feature. 

• If the server hosing the data is also the BUE server then using ADBO isn't needed.   Since either way that server has to read the data and send it to tape.   ADBO allows you to Offload that operation from the host that owns the data.  Thus reducing the CPU load on the production server.  This potentially has great benefit for Exchange and SQL where reducing latency is very beneficial.  it also allows you a much larger backup window.  Since you can back up during the day.

Regards,

-don

#IWork4Dell

•  Currently our backups run at 8pm at night due to the fact that our data is constantly changing until then. We are a production facility with 14 servers, all are server 2003 except the exchange and sql servers that are 2008 which rules out ADBO for use with them. Until about 2 weeks ago our sole storage was a dell powervault MD1000 with 1.8T worth of space that had so little room left that defrag could no longer run. Now, we just received our new equallogic PS4100X san and are trying to configure things. Neither of us have any experience with these so there is a little finger crossing.

One of the main things that we were hoping to be able to do with this is to take a snapshot of the current state and run the backup off of that and send it to tape. I am guessing that this can be accomplished with just using asm/me and perhaps just making an offline backup of the snapshots themselves? The largest bulk of our data could probably be backed up in this way.

• Hello,

Yes, you can use ASM/ME to create a more consistent snapshot.   Then back that up manually from the tape server.  You'd want ASM/ME on both servers.  What some customers have done is have multiple BUE servers, one for each OS they need to support.  Then you can get the full automation with the quiesced filesystem.  Of course you need more tape drives as well.  

-don

#IWork4Dell

• We moved bue to a utility server and still had the same problem. For some reason using our normal domain admin account would not work for adbo so we created a beservice account that works fine. The job starts connects to the ps4100x and creates the snapshot, i get an event 1000 "The service EqlVss has been successfully started" and then about 40 seconds later i get a beservice error

Faulting application beremote.exe, version 13.0.5204.114, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.6195, fault address 0x000149d1. At this point both the job service and beservice close and have to be restarted.

The only resolutions symantec has for this problem has to do with language and region which is set as specified. Any idea if there is anything on the equallogic side that could be causing a fault?

• Don 

I'm struggling getting my Exchange 2010 Sp2 servers backed up using ADBO and ASM/ME -- I have the HIT kit version 4 installed on the backup server and both of my exchange servers (in DAG) in my datacenter, I have the ADBO option installed on the BE server.  The VSS volume is connected on all exchange servers and backup exec server, the BE server has snapshot only connection to all volumes for Exchange (log and database).  I get an error in BE that:

- ADBO: Offhost backup initialization failure on: "\\DAGNAME\Microsoft Information Store\Database".
    V-79-10000-11225 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider that you selected does not support snap technology for this volume. Select another snapshot provider, and then run the job again.
    I am able to snapshot the volume straight from ASM/ME
    I have a case open with Dell and Symantec support but they haven't been much help -- Don seems to be the only person on the message boards that knows what's going on :)
    Sorry to revive an old thread - any isight would be great!
    Thanks!
  • Thank you for compliment though not really an expert.  Most of the times the issue a common one, so I look like I know what I'm talking about.  ;-)

Question, what is the OS of the Exchange server and the BE media server?

The ADBO can access (login) to the VSS-CONTROL volume correct?  

One thing I have never tried or been involved with is Exchange DAGs.  That could be were this is falling down.

#IWork4Dell

• The VSS-Control volume shows as connected in the Microsoft ISCSI initiator if that's what you mean

OS of Exchange is 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1

OS of BE is 2008 R2 Standard no service packs

• Best suggestion would be to create a test server, (or test volume on another server)  shouldn't be Exchange in fact.  A file server is fine, make it same OS as BE, 2K8R2 standard.  Try to run ADBO on that EQL volume.  

#IWork4Dell

• Are both DAG servers on EQL groups?

#IWork4Dell

• yes, they're all members of the EQL group -- should the snapshots be set online?  How would I backup a snapshot of the exchange database on the SAN manually?  I went through and patched all the servers to the same level to see if that was the difference.

Would you be able to work with me on this case via a webex at some point?  I can send you the case #

Thanks!

Brian

• I'll take the case number to see where its at, but I'm not the SME on Backup Exec especially with DAG.   I would still suggest creating a test volume w/o exchange/DAG and see if that works with ADBO.   Verify that all the basic settings are correct.

#IWork4Dell

• can you point me in the direction of the SME?  :)  I'm able to:

Snapshot the Exchange Databases using ASM on one of the Exchange Servers

Migrate that Snapshot to the Backup Exec Server using ASM

Mount that Snapshot on the Backup Exec Server

Then backup that Snapshot using Backup Exec

Which I assume is what the ASM and ADBO are supposed to coordinate to do together automatically.

I was able to backup using ADBO a non-exchange volume.

Case # is: <ADMIN NOTE: Case no. removed per privacy policy>

• Thanks, I've asked to have the case escalated.  The SME I'd like to review this is on holiday vacation.  

#IWork4Dell