Any "Best Practice" documentation?

Storage

Storage
Information and ideas on Dell storage solutions, including DAS, NAS, SAN and backup.

Any "Best Practice" documentation?

This question is not answered

We've got two sites, main site has a Hyper-V cluster with CSVs on a PS4100; DR site has the same but with no VMs in normal operation.  I want to be able to snapshot the CSVs at the main site, replicate the snapshots to the DR site, and run the VMs there if necessary.  If I try to do this with ASM/ME I get a weird warning saying "replica cannot be used to restore the original volume."  What does this actually mean?  What is the point of having a replica at another site if I can't restore it?  There also seems to be several different ways of configuring this; what is the "best" way?

Ideally, is there a guide (preferably simple!) for setting this configuration up?  What I've found so far seems to be for older versions of ASM/ME (we're on 4.0.0.6163).

I can't be the only person wanting a straightforward DR replica of a Hyper-V cluster, so there must be a document somewhere?

Thanks.

All Replies
  • Not sure if you reviewed this thread in the forum:

en.community.dell.com/.../19439989.aspx

-joe

Follow me on Twitter: @joesatdell

• Yes, I did look at that thread first.  The Dell documentation referred to is out of date, and the suggested answer seemed to be "try this and see if it works".  Therefore, I decided to post a new thread asking for the correct documentation for the versions we're using.

• Is there any current documentation or not?  I have tried to set this up as best I can, but it doesn't work.  ASM/ME says the replication partner is unavailable.

• Revelstone... I suggest you contact Customer Support.  They should be able to help diagnose your ASM/ME errors.

• First make sure that in you have a route to the DR site; this includes not only the Group IP but ALL the IP’s for every member in both groups are routable.  This includes the production Group IP AND all the member eth interfaces, and the DR Group IP and all the eth interfaces for the members.

To test this is setup properly, use the ping AND traceroute commands from each array, so you will need to Telnet/SSH to perform these commands:

telnet/ssh using one of the eth interfaces (do not use the group ip).  Note: If you have more than one array member in the group, you need to telnet into each member to perform the test on both sides of the replication partnership)

Ping  Example:

To ping out of each of the specific ETH port interfaces use the commands listed below:

ping "-I <source_ETH_IP> <dest IP>"

(that is a –I as in Capital letter “eye”, AND ensure you use the quotes after ping and the end of the command!).

(the dest IP is the other group, including the Group IP, and ALL member eth interfaces, test all IP combinations (Group IP; Member1 eth0, eth1, eth2, etc.; Member2 eth0, eth1, eth2 etc.)

Then do the same from the DR Site to the Production Site.

Traceroute Example:

To traceroute out each of the specific ETH port interface add a switch to choose the interface IP as shown below:

GrpName>support traceroute -s [ETH port source IP] [destinationIP]

(make sure you test each ETH interface combination)

The “destinationIP” is the other group, including the Group IP, and ALL member eth interfaces, test all IP combinations (Group IP; Member1 eth0, eth1, eth2, etc.; Member2 eth0, eth1, eth2 etc.)

If any of these tests fail, you may have a network routing issue.  If all members and all eth interfaces pass the test, please contact support to open a case

Follow me on Twitter: @joesatdell