MD3200i New disk not detected - PowerVault Storage Forum - Storage - Dell Community

MD3200i New disk not detected

Storage

Storage
Information and ideas on Dell storage solutions, including DAS, NAS, SAN and backup.

MD3200i New disk not detected

• Hi,
    Our MD3200i gave a sudden disk failure message a few days ago and the hot spare kicked in. I have replaced the disk (E0/Slot0) but when inserted the drive is not detected, no lights and no spinning up.
    When I removed the disk I did not do anything in MDSM first and cannot see anything to do now to detect it.
    Other than shutting down all the VM's and Hosts that are using the storage and power cycling the enclosure I don't know what to do.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Gavin

• Hi,

Is the replacement disk a Dell drive? Does it work in other devices? If it isn’t spinning up it is either not working or not connecting to the backplane. 

Thanks,

Josh Craig

Dell EMC | Enterprise Support Services
    Get support on Twitter: @DellCaresPRO

Download our QRL app: iOSAndroidWindows

• Hi Josh
    The disk isn't from Dell but is an identical genuine Seagate 600GB drive with the same part numbers.
    The MD3200i currently has 11 disks in it from slot 1 to 12 (12 was the spare) which are all part of the same raid 5 array / volume.
    I'm tempted to pull one of the working disks out and put it in slot 0 to see what happens but I'm scared I'll possibly damage the disk and / or data. I don't have any other devices to try the disk.

I haven't had a chance to power cycle the SAN yet as all the VM's etc. need to stay online but maybe this will give it all a jolt!

• It requires the use of Dell drives. https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln283215/dell-enterprise-raid-and-physical-drive---replacement-faq---can-different-drives-be-used-in-a-raid-?lang=en

Thanks,

Josh Craig

Dell EMC | Enterprise Support Services
    Get support on Twitter: @DellCaresPRO

Download our QRL app: iOSAndroidWindows