MD1000

Storage

Storage
Information and ideas on Dell storage solutions, including DAS, NAS, SAN and backup.

MD1000

This question is answered

I recently purchased 2 Seagate ST31000524AS drives which are a newer version of the ST31000524NS which is listed as compatible in the MD1000 matrix to use as hot spares in our MD1000 and got the following error after inserting the drive.

Bad PHY Slot4 Physical Disk1:2 Controller 1 Connector1

Does anyone know if these new drives are incompatible with the MD1000 as I get the same error with both drives.

Verified Answer
  • Thanks for the advice and help i think I have enough info to get this working.

All Replies
  • The Seagate "AS" series drives are not newer versions of any "NS" series drives. The NS series drives are enterprise class drives, whereas the AS series drives are desktop drives.

Seagate's "AS" drives: www.seagate.com/.../barracuda (family name of Barracude)

Seagate's "NS" drives: www.seagate.com/.../constellation-es (family name of Constellation)

First I'd recommend to return the ST31000524AS drives and get a pair of drives where the model number ends in "NS".

The next question is; what kind of raid controller are you connecting to? PERC5E, PERC6E, MD3000, MD3000i, or non-Dell?

Member since 2003

• Thanks for the info.

The controller card is a Perc 6E and the disks that are currently in use are Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB., as these are "AS" drives I thought that by replacing  or adding like for like would work.

• Are you using 2 SAS cables between the PERC6E and the MD1000? If so, you want to be sure you have the interposer board on all SATA drives, so they can talk to both EMMs.

Member since 2003

• I only have 1 cable and the md1000 is set to unified mode.
  • Thanks for the advice and help i think I have enough info to get this working.