How to replicate MD3600i ?

Storage

Storage
Information and ideas on Dell storage solutions, including DAS, NAS, SAN and backup.

How to replicate MD3600i ?

This question has suggested answer(s)

Is there an easy way (not necessary cheap, I assume) to replicate data stored on MD3600i at the array level?

Thanks

Seb

All Replies
  • As far as I know, this is where Dell has drawn the line in the past with Powervault iSCSI.  No direct san to san replication.

So you are left with host based replications.

We solved this by putting in Datacore Sansymphony-V.....     Now all our storage from several vendors including all our Powervault iSCSI sans sit behind the datacore storage servers creating our own massively HA'd storage cloud.   Pretty darn cool stuff for sure.  All block level, 2 fully independent mirrored storage systems here at HQ, and one down at our DR site.   51TB

• Spgsit,

As far as the replication goes on the 3600i there is a Utility called SMrepassist Utility. Below is the link that explains what the utility does and how to use it. It uses a virtual disk copy on a windows system.

support.dell.com/.../OM_en.pdf

Scroll down to pg. 267. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kenny K.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• But NO Windows server touches this array (apart from Veeam baclup in fact)

This is fully ESXi 5 dedicated (with all LUNs accesible only by ESXi hosts)

Seb

• Thanks, JOHNADCO

What hardware do you run the Sansymphony-V on?

Seb

• If you do not have a Windows box connected to the MD3600i I assume you do not have the MDSM software installed. That is something you may want to look into at least from the management standpoint. Here is the link if you decide to install it. It will have the management tool as well as some other feature that are helpful with this array.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Kenny K.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Sorry, you assume wrong. The Windows machine does NOT need to be connected to the array to do out-of-bands management

Ofcourse I use MDSM - how could one manage it otherwise?

Seb

• Ok, as far as the replication goes the utility I mentioned is the only utility we have that’s supported on the 3600i which requires a windows system for the virtual disk copy. When you get into the 3600f (Fiber) those system have a replication adapter which allows for other options and features.

Kenny K.

• Pity, should have really bought something else...

• From Dell's current offerings, these systems offer SAN-based replication:

- MD3600F (would have to purchase the license for this on each unit)

- Equallogic (no license required)

- Compellent (not sure if a license would need to be purchased or not)

Dell's EMC offering (discontinued now) offered replication as well on the CX-series and the AX4-5. For this range you needed licenses.

Member since 2003

• We run datacore Sansymphony-V on modest hardware.  Dell R415's, dual procs lots of cores.    We run strictly iSCSI to it from our ESX hosts and iSCSI from it to our MD3xxxi's.

Amazing storage cloud we have now with all the advanced features of the truly big boy sans.   We run 2 Sansymphony-V storage servers here at HQ in HA.  We run a songle storager server at the data center.  The back end storgae is all MD3xxxi's.

We got great discounting from our reseller on it.  We put the entire storage cloud in for under $29K,  this included licensing for 51TB of storage!!!

• Wow!

• Johnadco,

Please email me your reseller info - my email is

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

(replace the _ with dot)

I would like to investigate this solution further.

I am stuck with four of these MD3600i with over 70TB each and VMware SRM does not support SAN Replication for these models.  VMware SAN Replication Adapter 5 only supported on MD3600f and higher end SAN from Dell - something smells very fishy here!

Thank you.