RD1000 - issue an eject command

Storage

Storage
Information and ideas on Dell storage solutions, including DAS, NAS, SAN and backup.

RD1000 - issue an eject command

• Hello,

Is there a way to issue an eject command to the RD1000 so that the cartridge can eject after the completion of the backup job?

This will help indicate the successful completion of the job without having to log into the server.  It will also help designate a novice user to the task.

Thank you for your help.

CozmiqMan

• Depending on what backup software you are using, each has a different way of issuing an eject command. The RD1000 drive is a little unique from other backup drives because Windows views it as a removable disk. In order for your backup software to successfully issue an eject command, you will need to have installed the RD1000 utility from the CD that came with your drive. If you don't have this, the eject won't work quite right. Hope that helps. -Idaho Joe
  • Hi and thank you for helping me out.

I was looking more for a command-line command that I could send post backup job.
    I am using NT backup to backup onto the RD1000.  It allows us to send an execution after a successful backup.  I want to create a batch file that would have a command that I could send to force an eject on the RD1000.

Thank you.

CozmiqMan
  • I'm using an RD1000 with Backup Exec 10d and it has an "eject at end of Job" checkbox that does not work at all--nor does the eject button on the drive.  The RD1000 software has been removed and reinstalled 3 times to no avail.  Ejecting these cartridges seems to be a real problem on just about every Dell server I've tried it on--from PE2900's to one PE1800 implementation I'm working on.  Unfortunately, Dell does not appear to have a command-line "eject.exe" type program (which would make EVERYONE's life a lot easier) and thus I'm having to get elaborate documents together just so my end-users can eject and replace the cartridge daily.
  • Hi,

Depending on the OS you are using you may find the Windows "rsm" command helpful.  For instance:

rsm eject /PF"Volume Label" /Astart

where "Volume Label" is a quoted version of the cartridge volume label displayed by Windows Explorer.  This works for me with Windows XP.

As for the novice user, has the user been instructed to try right-clicking on the drive letter in Windows Explorer and selecting the "Eject" option?  If no other software is accessing the drive this should allow an eject to complete successfully.