MS ISCSI Initiator MD3000i VIRTUAL DISK NOT RECOGNIZED

Storage

Storage
Information and ideas on Dell storage solutions, including DAS, NAS, SAN and backup.

MS ISCSI Initiator MD3000i VIRTUAL DISK NOT RECOGNIZED

This question is answered

Hello,

I´ve configured MS ISCSI Initiator in Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise with SP1. There are 2 NICS for comunication with DELL MD3000i and from Modular Disk Storage Manager I've added the host and assigned 2 virtual disks to the host. (LUN 1 and LUN 2).

One of the virtual disks works fine from the Disks Administrator of W2008.

The other virtual disk appears but I don´t work with him. I can´t assign letter. I can´t switch it ONLINE or INITIALIZE because appears ERROR. This same virtual disk can be assigned to another host without problem.

The problem can be ISCSI Initiator?  After doing changes in ISCSI Initiator I can work fine with this virtual disk and the problem appears in the other virtual disk.

Any idea?

Verified Answer
  • Vmarna,

Just out of curiosity do you have those Virtual Disks being accessed by multiple systems? If so are they set up into a cluster environment? Also here is a link that  breaks down the steps for setting up the MPIO for iSCSI initiator. Just to make sure none of the steps may have been skipped.

paulgrevink.wordpress.com/.../configure-dell-md3000i-mpio-with-windows-2008-r2

I hope this helps. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Kenny K.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• If your using 2008 Server R2 thus x64,  you have to load the Dell MPIO.   You will get contrary opinions onthis, but we just verified it does not work without the Dell MPIO being loaded.

• It sounds like you have only made an iSCSI connection to a single controller and you didn't install the MPIO driver (Modular Disk Storage Manager (host software as a minimum)). The 2nd virtual disk is probably owned by the other controller (that you didn't make an iSCSI session to) and as there is no MPIO driver, the array isn't being told to fail over the disk to the controller that you do have access to. This results in seeing a place holder for the disk probably, which isn't actually usable. You may also see a 20MB disk.

Member since 2003

• PS:  If you see the 20mb access lun?  You do not have the dell MPIO stuff loaded.  

All Replies
  • Vmarna,

Just out of curiosity do you have those Virtual Disks being accessed by multiple systems? If so are they set up into a cluster environment? Also here is a link that  breaks down the steps for setting up the MPIO for iSCSI initiator. Just to make sure none of the steps may have been skipped.

paulgrevink.wordpress.com/.../configure-dell-md3000i-mpio-with-windows-2008-r2

I hope this helps. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Kenny K.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• If your using 2008 Server R2 thus x64,  you have to load the Dell MPIO.   You will get contrary opinions onthis, but we just verified it does not work without the Dell MPIO being loaded.

• It sounds like you have only made an iSCSI connection to a single controller and you didn't install the MPIO driver (Modular Disk Storage Manager (host software as a minimum)). The 2nd virtual disk is probably owned by the other controller (that you didn't make an iSCSI session to) and as there is no MPIO driver, the array isn't being told to fail over the disk to the controller that you do have access to. This results in seeing a place holder for the disk probably, which isn't actually usable. You may also see a 20MB disk.

Member since 2003

• PS:  If you see the 20mb access lun?  You do not have the dell MPIO stuff loaded.  

• Thanks. MPIO was the problem

regards

• Hi,

For us, the MPIO is setting up also the iSCSI connectors and the virtual disk appear but the fomat of this disk is RAW and not NTFS.

A message box invite me to format the virtual disk, and i can't do this operation because i have a data in this virtual disk used by another server...

What i hae to process??

Best regards,

Cordially, KETATA Ramy

(If one can do it, I can do it. If no one can do it, I must do it)

• Like I suggested for vmarna; install the MPIO driver for this SAN (and reboot the server) and you should be fixed. This does assume you are using a supported OS. Only VMware and XenServer are supported with 100% native MPIO; any other OS (including Red Hat Enterprise Linux or SuSE Linux Enterprise Server) require the MD-specific MPIO driver.

Member since 2003