Windows 8 reinstall on XPS 13" Ultrabook without CD

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Windows 8 reinstall on XPS 13" Ultrabook without CD

This question is not answered

Dear Sir or Madam,

I bought a new XPS 13" Ultrabook this year and all worked fine. However, all of a sudden the laptop does not boot anymore. I am wondering if there is a way to reinstall windows 8 or to recover everything? I made I diagnostic check (F12 when booting) but no errors are found. However, my problem is that the laptop has a) no CD player and b) I also have not received another device like a USB stick with the software with the laptop. How can I reinstall the system?

I would be very happy if somebody could help me out!

Best wishes
Sebastian

All Replies
  • Hi Sepharin,

Try the steps below and confirm if the system is able to boot to Windows:

• Change the SATA operation in BIOS (tap F2 on startup),from Intel Smart Response to AHCI.
    • Save changes in BIOS.
    • Reboot the system
    • Go back into Bios (F2) and change SATA operation from AHCI  to Intel Smart Response.
    • Save the changes
    • Reboot the system.
    • System should boot normally into Windows.

Try couple of times and make sure system is booting to Windows normally.

Note: Please let me know if the system is able to boot to Windows after following the above steps, as we need to perform few more steps within Windows.

XPS 13 does not come with media bay slot. Dell does not ship any factory recovery discs for systems. There is a ‘Dell DataSafe Local Backup’ application installed in the system wherein you could create recovery USB.

If the above steps do not fix the issue then please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase and email address so that I can check what can be done. To send a private message, click on my name and select start conversation.

Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
    Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98