No print command in windows 8

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

No print command in windows 8

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,  I have a dell xps8500 and windows 8,When I go into cook book and pick out a recipe,I can't seem to find the command print. I can't use Screen Shot because when I bring up screen shot i lose the recipe ,this seems to be every where in windows 8  ctrl print doesn't work either or print screen there must be a way to do this, has anyone found a way to print in windows 8??If there isn't a way then miscrosoft should Fix it.I know if your are into windows explorer 10 you can bring up the command print,or use screenshot deluxe 8.

Bob

All Replies
  • I presume you are using Internet Explorer in the METRO Interface.

Hover your mouse in the lower right hot corner to trigger the Charms bar. Move your mouse up the bar and click on the Devices charm.

Your printer and other devices should appear in a list. Click on the name of the printer that you wish to use.  

A Settings screen for your printer appears, from which you can change the number of copies, orientation, color mode, and other settings. Click on the More settings link for additional options, including paper size, type, and output tray.

Click the Back button in front of your printer name to return to the previous screen. Click on the Print button to print the Web page.

OR

Get Stardocks Start 8 (This is Optional but I hate WIN8 so.....)

Start8™ for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu

www.stardock.com/.../start8

Then Download and install FIREFOX for the Desktop.

Firefox Nightly Builds

http://nightly.mozilla.org/

The menus in firefox 18 etc will be hidden but you can preferences turn them back on.

So that File Print and or a Print Button at the top can be customized.

Read more about customizing your toolbar.  The PRINT is not there by Default Nor are the familiar Menus but if you check the box

for Showing them all the time it stays.   Or hit the ALT button every time.

Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars

Firefox's toolbars provide easy access to common features. This article explains how you can customize toolbars to make Firefox work the way you do.

You can customize the Navigation toolbar to add any of the following items (for more information, see Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars):

Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars

Firefox's toolbars provide easy access to common features. This article explains how you can customize toolbars to make Firefox work the way you do.

How do I show and hide the different toolbars?

Most toolbars can be shown or hidden depending on your needs. To show or hide a toolbar, right-click on an empty section of the Tab Strip and check or uncheck it in the pop-up menu.

• Menu Bar: This toolbar at the top of the Firefox window contains the browser menus (File, Edit, Help, etc.). On Windows Vista and 7, the Menu Bar is hidden by default, and its features are contained in the Firefox button. If the Menu Bar is hidden, you can temporarily show it by pressing the Alt key.
    • Tab Strip: This is where your tabs are displayed. You can't hide it.
    • Navigation Toolbar: This toolbar contains your web site navigation buttons, the Location Bar, the Search Bar, the Home button and the Bookmarks button.
    • Bookmarks Toolbar: This toolbar contains your Bookmarks Toolbar Folder bookmarks. For more information, see Bookmarks Toolbar - Display your favorite websites at the top of the Firefox window. On new installations of Firefox, the Bookmarks Toolbar is hidden by default.
    • Add-on Bar: This toolbar at the bottom of the Firefox window contains buttons associated with your extensions (if they are made available by the add-on developer). See The Add-on Bar gives you quick access to add-on features for more information.

Toolbars - win1

How do I customize or rearrange toolbar items?

1. Right-click an empty section of the Tab Strip and select Customize.... The Customize Toolbar window opens.
    2. Change the toolbar items as necessary. For an explanation of what each item does, see Customize navigation buttons like back, home, bookmarks and reload.
      • To add an item, drag it from the Customize Toolbar window onto the toolbar where you want it to appear.
      • To remove an item, drag it to the Customize Toolbar window.
      • To rearrange an item, drag it to the spot where you want it.
    3. When finished, click Done.

Toolbars - win2

Try it out: Experiment with different arrangements. You can always restore the default toolbar settings by clicking Restore Default Set in the Customize Toolbar window.

Icon appearance options

There are additional options to change the appearance of your toolbar icons at the bottom of the Customize Toolbar window:

• Show: From the Show dropdown menu, you can choose what to display in the toolbars: icons, text, or icons and text together. By default, Firefox shows icons only.
    • Use Small Icons: Check this option to make the toolbar smaller.

How can I add extra toolbars?

1. Right-click an empty section of the Tab Strip and select Customize.... The Customize Toolbar window opens.
    2. At the bottom of the Customize Toolbar window, click Add New Toolbar. The New Toolbar window opens.
    3. In the New Toolbar window, enter a name for your toolbar and click OK.
    4. Add items to the toolbar as described above. If you don't add any, Firefox won't create your toolbar.
    5. When you're finished adding items, click Done.

Your new toolbar appears below the Navigation Toolbar.

Try it out: Make a new toolbar. You can always remove extra toolbars by clicking Restore Default Set in the Customize Toolbar window.

I have missing toolbars, unwanted toolbars or toolbars that get reset

See these toolbar troubleshooting articles:

Share this article: You can use the link http://mzl.la/LEfUYU to easily share this article with others. It will display instructions automatically customized for their operating system and language.

IconDescription
    Navigation Toolbar - Win9 Print the current page
    Navigation Toolbar - Win10 Indicates the current page loading status
    Navigation Toolbar - Win11 Display of the progress of current downloads through the Downloads Manager
    Navigation Toolbar - Win12 Display the pages you've viewed recently in the History sidebar
    Navigation Toolbar - Win13 Display your bookmarks in the Bookmarks sidebar
    Navigation Toolbar - Win14 Open a new browsing window
    Navigation Toolbar - Win15 Cut
    Navigation Toolbar - Win16 Copy
    Navigation Toolbar - Win17 Paste
    Navigation Toolbar - Win18 Make the Firefox window full-screen
    Navigation Toolbar - Win19 Zoom out or in the current page
    Navigation Toolbar - Win20 Setup Sync or Sync now depending on your Sync connect status
    Navigation Toolbar - Win21 Subscribe to a RSS feed in the current page
    Navigation Toolbar - Win22

Enter the Tab Groups view

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• I bring up the charm bar and click on devices and at the top I do not see any devices,but I installed hp photosmart c8100 I got the download from HP ., and I looked into program and features and it is listed there ,also it is listed in control panel

I suppose I could uninstall and reinstall if that would make a difference

Bob Moyer

• The easy way to print is just to press Control+P on the page you want to print.

• Yes but that does not work like that in windows 8

• I finally figured it out,why I could not see my printer when I called up the charm bar . I have to have the subject I am going to print pulled up first then i go to the charm bar and click on devices and then you will see the printer,but still one draw back it only printed 2/3rds of the recipe I could not get the last 1/3 of the recipe, have to figure that one out.Thanks for the come back  SPEEDSTEP you led me in the right direction...

• There are 2 other ways I finally Figured out.  You can Print but you have to ALT THEN VIEW the Menu Bar they hide.

You click the Checkboxes to make that the default.  I have also noted that keyboards remove the printscreen button but I can plug in a USB Keyboard to get that back for screen shots.

HIT THE ALT Key and it shows FILE PRINT UPPER LEFT. THE GEAR ICON NEXT TO THE TOP RIGHT NEXT TO THE HOUSE AND STAR icon also has print just like from the charm bar.

This is all a step backwards.  Windows 8 Hide everything from the user Retarded version.

Not you but the writers of the OS and Menus.

• How do I bring up the menu bar they hide, I can't seem to find print when I hit alt

Bob

• It does work in win 8 if your printer is installed correctly. This is not Print Screen. It is Control + P for print. It brings up the print dialogue on the right-- opening your list of printers as if you used the Charms.

• Look at the post above.   HIT ALT then mouse to VIEW and check the TOOLBAR VIEWS to STAY ON.

ALT  VIEW TOOLBARS  Check the boxes for MENU BAR      COMMAND BAR     STATUS BAR

The other TOOLBAR I have also has print Icon  Its one of the others I press ALT then click the box to STAY ON FOREVER.

• I'm on XP at the moment but I have a new 8500 with Win 8 Pro. I have an ancient (13 years) old HP printer attached to the XP machine. Windows 8 has had zero problems seeing the printer and I have had zero problems printing and doing print preview in Win 8 on Fx 10.0.12 ESR version, Opera 12, SeaMonkey 2.15 and IE 10. But then I have Start8 from Stardock so I NEVER see or use Metro. Windows 8 boots directly to the desktop and stays there for everything I do including shutdown. Print/print preview are on Menu bar under File just like on XP.  Win 8 is still not a good OS but Start8 makes it tolerable....maybe.

• Installing Start8 was part of my first suggestion.  Running FIrefox in the Desktop is also part of that.

Java for instance will not install or work in metro.