Windows 8 not installing on Dell Inspiron 1721

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Windows 8 not installing on Dell Inspiron 1721

This question is answered

Hi,

I am having problems doing a clean install of Windows 8 (DVD) from Vista on my Dell Inspiron 1721. When I do a clean install, it can't find a device driver to load the partitions to be deleted. The driver should probably be related to the AMD Raid Controller, but it doesn't work when I try to locate what I think is the right file from a USB (hard to find the correct ifi file on the web).

Am on the right track and I just need to find the correct driver file, or is there an easier way to do this (e.g. disable the Raid Controller)? I have been working on this for over a week with no success.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Verified Answer
  • I tried this again and it worked! I changed Sata Operation to the "Raid Autodetect/ATA" and then did a clean install of Windows 8 (Google this procedure) from a dvd I created from the downloaded upgrade file (ISO). I had some problems finding the RAID Controller driver to display and delete the old partitions that Vista was saved on, but I eventually found it from browsing the Drivers CD that came with the laptop. Windows 8 then installed 100%, but at the very end of the process it gave me the error message "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart".

When it restarts, press F12 to Repair and chose the Windows 8 DVD. From this point in I got the getting device ready message and then it installed Windows 8 successfully. Hope this helps!

All Replies
  • Hi Steve,

Yes, you are on the right track. You will have to load the RAID drivers for Windows to detect the hard driver. It is indeed the ATI RAID Controller. You can load the driver from the Resource CD. You will to re-insert the Windows 8 installation disk when the hard drives are detected and click on “Next” to continue the installation. I have included a picture of the installation screen below:

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
    Rajath N
    Dell Social Media and Community Professional
    Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
    Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

• Thanks Rajath,

I tried that yesterday but it didn't work. I presume the Resource cd is the Driver cd that came with the laptop? I'll try this again this evening, but is there another way to do this if it doesn't work (e.g. using a USB, disabling the Raid controller)?

• I tried this again and it worked! I changed Sata Operation to the "Raid Autodetect/ATA" and then did a clean install of Windows 8 (Google this procedure) from a dvd I created from the downloaded upgrade file (ISO). I had some problems finding the RAID Controller driver to display and delete the old partitions that Vista was saved on, but I eventually found it from browsing the Drivers CD that came with the laptop. Windows 8 then installed 100%, but at the very end of the process it gave me the error message "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart".

When it restarts, press F12 to Repair and chose the Windows 8 DVD. From this point in I got the getting device ready message and then it installed Windows 8 successfully. Hope this helps!

• Now that you have installed Windows 8 perform the following checks here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19473458.aspx

For a limited time get Windows 8 Media Centre Pack for Free. See here.

Review this article here and search through the fixes/updates for any preinstalled software.

There is a free Dell Windows 8 for Dummies guide available from here.

In addition there is a number of useful videos here.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.