Studio XPS 1647 and Windows 8

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Studio XPS 1647 and Windows 8

This question is answered

Hello,

I want to install Microsoft Windows 8 on my Dell Studio XPS 1647. Is it going to work? I have checked download page for this computer and there are no Windows 8 drivers for this laptop... Has anyone tried installing Windows 8 on Studio XPS?

Thanks for the help.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Radpl,

The Studio XPS 1647 has not been tested by Dell with Windows 8. However if you are using Windows 7 on your system there should not be any compatibility issues.

After the official launch of Windows 8 on 26th October 2012, the drivers may not be available on the Dell support site. However, you can always check the manufacturer's website for suitable drivers.You can also check the following link for any further information on Windows 8 upgrade.http://dell.to/SyrDsU
    You can also check article:575111 on www.support.dell.com for help with Windows 8 upgrade.

Please reply for any further questions.

Thanks and regards
    Abhishek B
    #iworkfordell

Thanks & Regards,
    Dell_Abhishek_B
    #IworkforDell
    To learn more about Dell Products, Services, and Drivers, click Here

All Replies
  • Hi Radpl,

The Studio XPS 1647 has not been tested by Dell with Windows 8. However if you are using Windows 7 on your system there should not be any compatibility issues.

After the official launch of Windows 8 on 26th October 2012, the drivers may not be available on the Dell support site. However, you can always check the manufacturer's website for suitable drivers.You can also check the following link for any further information on Windows 8 upgrade.http://dell.to/SyrDsU
    You can also check article:575111 on www.support.dell.com for help with Windows 8 upgrade.

Please reply for any further questions.

Thanks and regards
    Abhishek B
    #iworkfordell

Thanks & Regards,
    Dell_Abhishek_B
    #IworkforDell

• Hi  DELL_Abhishek_B,

Thank you for your answer. Windows 8 is already available on MSDNAA platform. I will install it during the weekend. I'll post here in case of any problems.

Regards,

Radek

• Hello Dell_Abishek_B. I have installed the Windows 8 Pro version on my Studio XPS 1647. I did not encounter any problems during installation and the PC performed many reboots as is required for Windows 8 Pro installation. During setup, I had an external USB mouse and keyboard (wired) hooked up and an additional monitor connected through HDMI. All worked properly during OS upgrade. However, during final OS boot up, all USB ports have stopped working and now I have a (code 48) displayed next to the USB controller in the Device Manager page. The USB controller is an Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller. Windows 8 Pro did not advise of a hardware issue prior to OS upgrade. Do you have any insights on this problem? Your help is much appreciated. USB ports are essential for my everyday activities. Thank you.

EDIT: After reading some other user experiences, I came across a comment about compatibility issues with ASUS Ai Charger application wichi I have installed to charge my iPad. During the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Assistant report, the program came up but an update was suggested which I installed and assumed the issue was gone. I uninstalled the offending application, USB port functionality was restored. I later found a working update for ASUS Ai Charger application which I installed and is also working properly. Thanks for your help.

• Windows 8 works perfectly for me except one issue - there is no bluetooth support. How do I install bluetooth on Windows 8?

• Hi ,

The Bluetooth drivers for this system are not available for Windows 8. However you can try to download the driver from the link below:

http://dell.to/Ue799n

Once this driver is downloaded, follow these steps to install it:

Click 'Computer' and drive letter 'C'

• Locate folder 'dell' and double click it
    • Locate folder 'Drivers' and double click it
    • Click on V7VRR
    • Locate folder 'R273948'
    • Locate folder 'Win64' and double click it 
    • Locate file Inst (Refer to the image below)

• Right click file 'Inst'
    • Click 'Run as an administrator'
    • Click 'Yes' to continue if prompted with 'User access control' message
    •  Follow through with the installation as per the screen instructions
    •  Finish the installation and check for the Bluetooth functionality.

Hope this helps. Please reply for any further questions.

Thanks & Regards,
    Dell_Abhishek_B
    #IworkforDell