Watermark message, Secure boot isn’t configured correctly after installing Windows 8.1

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Watermark message, Secure boot isn’t configured correctly after installing Windows 8.1

This question is not answered

If you are installing Windows 8.1 and notice a watermark with the message regarding Secure Boot note being configured correctly the following work around may help.

• Swipe the charms bar
  • Touch search
  • Key in gpedit.msc
  • Touch gpedit
  • Then under Computer Configuration
  • Touch Administrative templates
  • Then All settings on the right window pane
  • Then scroll down to use enhanced boot configuration data validation profile
  • Touch enabled option and touch apply option
  • Exit and Restart

Here are instructions for using a keyboard

• Press (Windows Key + C) to open the charms bar
  • Click in the search box
  • Type in gpedit.msc
  • Click the gpedit tile (this will open the computer management window)
  • Then under Computer Configuration
  • Click Administrative templates
  • Then double-click All settings on the right window pane
  • Then scroll down to use enhanced boot configuration data validation profile
  • Click the enabled option and Click the apply option
  • Exit and Restart

Please post here if you have seen this problem and let me know if these instructions work and manages to remove the watermark.

Microsoft has the following TechNet document regarding the error.

Thanks

TB

<EDIT>

Microsoft has just released a new document regarding the watermark, please take a look at it here.

(Liaison for Laptops, Mobile Devices)
Look for me on Twitter and LinkedIn.
#iwork4Dell
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

All Replies
  • This does not work for me, or anyone else seeing this message!

• We need a BIOS update which has the Secure Boot option available to us (not gray'd out anymore) and also working. Windows 8.1 now demands it. Please see http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19528483.aspx?pi239031352=3#20461249 as a lot of other people are also in the same boat as me and editing this group policy does not work.

• HI Terry,

Thanks for the reply. But I am not able to find gpedit.msc in my system. Its just not there. I tried searching and also executing it from the "Run" command. I cant find it anywhere.

Can you help me out?

Akshay

• i don't see  enhanced boot configuration data validation profile ????

• Here are a couple of additional points.  Please make sure that your systems have the latest BIOS from support.dell.com if you haven't already.   Once updated to 8.1 please make sure that all Windows updates are installed.  They can be up to ten updates that will need to be installed.

If you continue to have problems, please list the model of system that you are having difficulties with and the version of Windows 8.1 (Windows Pro or otherwise)  that you are using.

Thanks

TB 

#iwork4Dell

• A continue to have problems Alienware x51 revision 1 with windows 8.1 pro with media center all updated with  latest bios that is online for this system. 

• Cruser12,

I am being told that it is crucial that you let all the Windows updates install.  If possible run Windows update and make sure that the system isn't shut down in the process. 

Let me know if you continue to have the watermark.  

TB 

#iwork4Dell

• I am still experiencing this on my Alienware Aurora R4, BIOS version A09 (latest) with all the latest Windows updates and patches for Windows 8.1.

• Murdoctor,

I thank you for all of your posts on this issue.  I take it with A09 installed, all the Windows updates installed, that in the BIOS both secure boot and load legacy Option rom is grayed out, is this correct?  I will shoot you a friend request shortly, please accept it so that I may private message you.

TB

#iwork4Dell

• Hey Terry, exactly right. Sounds good. I'll look for your invite/IM.

• There was no updates i looked at all updates are installed so still have this issue it's grayed out in the Bios and i can't select it, please get back with a possible fix as it  makes my desktop ugly. 

• Dell has released a new document that goes more in depth with possible solutions including directions for specific Dell models.

For Alienware systems with Haswell processors try the following steps if possible.

• All New Shipping systems with Haswell Processor and Lynx Point Chipset (Inspiron 7000 series, XPS 8700, XPS 2720, XPS 13 MLK, XPS 13 MLK ULT, XPS 12 DUO ULT, AW new Releases) Steps
    • Inter the BIOS (Press F2 at boot to enter System Setup)
    • Go into the Boot Tab
    • Secure Boot to Enabled
    • Secure Boot Mode to Standard
    • Save Settings and Reboot
    • Once you are on the Windows Tiles, Choose Desktop and check if the Watermark is still visible
    • If not visible, reboot once again for good measure
    • If the Watermark is still visible go to next steps

If Secure Boot is Enabled and the watermark still appears (For all other systems that are Windows 8 Certified) Please ensure Load Legacy option Rom is disabled , If Load Legacy Option Rom is enabled, secure boot disabled will be grayed out.

Please let me know if you continue to have problems.

TB

#iwork4Dell

• it's not listing the alienware X51 so dose this mean there is no hope for any of us having these systems i spent over 1500 for my system and now i'm stuck with this watermark. 

• Cruser12

I will shoot you friend request shortly, please accept.

To my knowledge X51 systems with Haswell processors should work fine.  I will check to see what the specific instructions to Ivy Bridge X51s are.

TB

#iwork4Dell

• Thanks Terry i tried this step  listed below but i can't find enhanced boot configuration data validation profile and i have windows 8.1 pro with media center ? were is it i followed them to the tea?.
    Keyboard instructions:

• Press (Windows Key + C) to open the charms bar
    • Click in the search box
    • Type in gpedit.msc
    • Click the gpedit tile (this will open the computer management window)
    • Then under Computer Configuration
    • Click Administrative templates
    • Then double-click All settings on the right window pane
    • Then scroll down to use enhanced boot configuration data validation profile
    • Click the enabled option and Click the apply option
    • Exit and Restart