How can I uninstall windows 8 and install windows 7 on a Inspiron 17R SE 7720

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

How can I uninstall windows 8 and install windows 7 on a Inspiron 17R SE 7720

This question is answered

I bought my Inspiron 17R SE with Windows 8 installed in December 2012. I have tried my best to get to grips with Windows 8 but for the most part I don't like it. I tried using Classic Shell so it looked like Windows 7 but I still did not like it.  Windows 8 seems to me to be not realy suitable for Laptop use.

I want to uninstall Windows 8 and install my own copy of Windows 7 Pro but I am not sure if it will install on a Laptop originally setup for Windows 8.  I have asked Technical Support about this but I was told that Dell would not support this so they could not help me.

Can anyone here help me with detailed instructions on how to achieve what I want...I have read that the Bios settings needs to be changed before I start but don't know what to do.

Thanks

Jan

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi Jan,

Welcome to the community.

Please check the link below which would be helpful in resolving the issue you have with the system:

http://dell.to/YWMP1L

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
    Sandeep P
    #iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
    Sandeep P
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

• Hi Sandeep, Thank you for your reply.  I have tried the link in your post but all I get is "Article Not Found"

• Hi Sandeep,The link you gave is now working.  I am not sure if the information is relevant as it refers to downgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 7 Pro...I have only Windows 8 on my Laptop so I can't do a downgrade 7Pro.  I believe my only option is to remove Windows 8 and do a clean install off a licenced copy of Windows 7 Pro.  I understand this is not as straight forward as simly loading the Windows 7 installation disk...I believe changes have to be made in the Bios before I can do this.

Jan

• Follow A Clean Install of Windows 7 in my Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Thank you for the links which I will look at as soon as Dell allows me to...I am getting the message "Article Not Found" at the moment.

Thanks

Jan

• The answer of the question interest me as well. I bought a laptop, received it yesterday and I just cant stand Windows 8.. at all. I have a retail copy of Windows 7, so I'm wondering if I can format the HDD and just do a fresh install of Windows 7 instead, and if the Bios, wifi, motherboard, etc. drivers are available for Windows 7 on Dell.ca

Sorry my English, not my first language.

• LyneCliche

The answer of the question interest me as well. I bought a laptop, received it yesterday and I just cant stand Windows 8.. at all. I have a retail copy of Windows 7, so I'm wondering if I can format the HDD and just do a fresh install of Windows 7 instead, and if the Bios, wifi, motherboard, etc. drivers are available for Windows 7 on Dell.ca

Sorry my English, not my first language.

Yes you can, follow A Clean Install of Windows 7 in my Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

You will have to alter the BIOS settings as instructed.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• I have now had a look at your guides and I feel that I can now go ahead with the installation of Windows 7 followig your very helpfull instructions.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jan

• Trying to do the same thing myself using a Dell Win 7 64b OEM DVD and so far I have not been able to do it.  I keep getting an error message that no HDDs can be found and a request for drivers which I do not have.  See my post for details. en.community.dell.com/.../19500097.aspx

Please let us know if you do a successfull install of Win 7 Pro on your machine.