Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

This question is not answered

I have having a problem that has been going on for a few weeks and I have tried everything to resolve the issue but it continues to persist.  When I attempt to open any Microsoft Office program (Word, Excel, etc) or an office document I get a Windows Installer box which says the following:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package Nero.MobileSync.msi.

No matter what I have tried I cannot get past this box.  I initially thought this was an Office problem so I attempted to search the add/delete file to repair Office.  However, when I went to the file Microsoft Office was missing from the list along with several other programs that I know are installed on the system.  Based on the fact that other programs are missing from the list I do not believe that this is an Office problem.  Furthermore, when I began to attempt to open other items I would get the same dialog box related to Nero.MobileSync.msi.  I cannot even open pictures from my photo file!

Please help!

All Replies
  • Hi speak2mlv,

It appears to be a software corruption; it may also be a virus infection. Would like to know, when did the computer work fine in the past. You may try performing 'System Restore' to see if that works:
    (Note: The steps listed below apply for Windows XP/Vista/7; not for Windows 8)
    - Power off the laptop
    - Power it back on and at Dell splash screen, repeatedly tap < F8 > (If Windows logo appears, please repeat the steps)
    - 'Advance Boot Menu options' appear; Use the 'arrow keys' on the keyboard to highlight 'Safe Mode' and tap < Enter >
    - If the system boots up in 'Safe Mode', try performing 'System Restore'
    - To perform 'System Restore' in 'Safe Mode' click 'Start' icon and type 'System Restore' in 'Search programs and files' and tap < Enter >
    - Follow the on-screen instructions to select a 'System Restore' point and follow through with the restore
    - Allow the system to restart and recheck performance
    Note: 'System Restore' does not result into data loss; However, any software change after the chosen restore date/time is rolled back and is un-done. You may want to refer to the detailed  steps for 'System Restore' in the following web article:

If 'System Restore' does not fix the issue, you may want to restore  the system back to factory default settings.

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurabh A
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, click Here. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here