Installing Quicktime

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Installing Quicktime

This question is not answered

I am trying to install Apple Quicktime and I keep getting an error message that is telling me "The Windows Service Installer could not be assessed. This can occur if the windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance." Anyone have a clue what that means and how do I properly upgrade my quicktime? Thanks!

All Replies
  • Hello blessedmommy2.

Welcome to the community.

The problem you are facing is typically caused if some registry permissions are blocked. This could be due to various reasons. I assume you are using Windows 7 on your computer.

I would recommend creating a new user account with Administrator rights on the computer and try to install QuickTime there.

In case you get the same error in the new account try to run this Fix It from Microsoft

Let me know how it goes.

DELL-Arjun A

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com

• Hello blessedmommy2

Welcome to the Community .

Apart from what Arjun has suggested you may also try the following steps .

1 . If you have a Windows 64 - Bit OS

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENT CONTROL SET\SERVICES\MSIserver\WOW64

Right click on WOW64, then select Modify

Set Value Data to 0 if it is 1 by default and Base should be Hexadecimal.

Reboot and check if the issue is resolved.

2. Run sfc /scannow followed by step 3. (Do not restart the system even if prompted after this step)

3. Reset the Windows Installer Service Registry settings

4.) Download & run http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9795718

5.) Press the Windows Key + R & in the dialog box type net start MSIServer & hit ENTER

6.) Restart the computer in Safe Mode by tapping F8 just & when you see the Dell logo when the system restarts

7.) Press the Windows Key + R & in the dialog box type msiexec\regserver 

8.) Restart the computer normally & see if this fixes the issue . 

Glad to help .

Let us know about the outcome .

Thank you

Pavan Pradeep

• Thank you both. Arjun...I tried installing it your way but creating a new user account with administrator rights and unfortunately it still would not download.

Pavan...I will definitely try your suggestion later on after my kids go to sleep so I won't be interrupted every 2 seconds! I'll let you know what happens.

I appreciate you both answering! I am trying to avoid the $150 charge that dell wants to fix this problem!.

• Hello blessedmommy2.

Did you also try to run the Microsoft Fixit?

If no please try to download and run it from here that before going to the registry.

Do let us know if you fix the issue.

DELL-Arjun A

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com

• Hi blessedmommy2,

Thank you for using Dell Community.

Unless you are experienced in working in the Windows Registry it can be risky. Please try the Microsoft FixIt suggested above.

The direct download posted above does not specify, but it is probably for 64-bit OS as is this one: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

If you are using XP let us know.

In most cases those FixIt files automatically do what can be done manually, but without the risk of human error. If that does not work, and you want to try manual registry editing, by all means make a backup of the registry first. Depending on your operating system, this procedure and the method for restoring from a backup can be different, so we would need to know what operating system you are using.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
    Social Media and Community Professional
    SpywareHammer

I am not a Microsoft or a Dell employee. I am a volunteer.