Can't Get My Dell Downloads to Work

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Can't Get My Dell Downloads to Work

• Hi, I'm new to the community so I have no idea where this topic should be posted (I can't find an appropriate sub-topic under software to post this). Basically my problem is that I can't get My Dell Downloads to register my system so that I can download my factory installed software (I plan to do a clean install of Windows 7). I checked the box that says "I agree to user terms" and click register, then a window pops up and I clicked "allow." But then nothing happens and it stays on that page. Does anyone know how I can solve this problem? Moderators if this isn't the right section for this topic please move this thread to the right place. Thanks.

• Hi, qwe jkl:

This can be a problem for certain firewalls or security programs. My suggestion? Don't use the Dell download manager. Just download whatever you need directly.

Good luck!

• osprey4,

What do you mean download directly? Where do I go to do that? My Dell Downloads won't give me a list of programs that came with my computer without registering my system. I've turned off my firewall and it still doesn't work. And I am using IE 8. Also, my computer is a brand new Studio XPS 1640 with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Is it my computer or does the site just not work? Any more help is appreciated.

• I'm having the same exact problem.  Did you ever get past the registration page to download the software?

• If you are talking about Dell Service Tag registration (a new computer), it’s not unusual for it to take up to 10 or more working days

And assume you aren’t referring to what was a very common problem associated with the Dell Registration popup window not working properly?

• I think the My Dell Downloads being referred to is in the link below.   Apparently Dell's added a new feature to download copies of preinstalled software.

https://smartsource.dell.com/Web/Welcome.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fweb%2fmain.aspx

My PC is a couple years old, but I tried it anyway  - logged in, clicked Register, and nothing happened for me either - expected at least an error saying my computer wasn't eligible or something.   Seems like it's yet another site glitch.

'Tis a poor carpenter that blames his tools.

• Oops - I messed up.  sorry, guys.  Embarrassed

I was trying to use Firefox, though the site specifically only supports IE - says so right there.

Tried it again in XP/IE6, clicked Register, installed the Active X control, watched it hang for about 30 seconds, then got a "service tag not supported" message - which is more reasonable.

Found the FAQ page for it, and it requires .net Framework 3.0 to work - which may or may not be the problem:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=6C62AF56B900E97DE040AE0AB6E10454&doclang=en&cs=

'Tis a poor carpenter that blames his tools.

• I'm running Windows 7 with IE 8.  In order for the registration process to work correctly you must run IE 8 in compatibility mode.  Click the Tools drop-down and select "Compatibility View".

Now I'm presented with a message "Service Tag not Supported.". 

• I know it’s a different registration issue & not W7 but just to throw more timber on the fire of confusion

Registration popup window not working properly in Vista seems to be associated with having an older version of Dell Registration installed & IE8 installed, as described here

Can only assume it’s a badly written article & means if using IE8 then you need an updated version of Dell Registration?

Confused yet Confused

• Has anyone gotten the site to accept their registration? This sample issue is happening to me on and it's driving me nuts.

• jt5o1,

To use the Dell download manager you must have the Windows .net framework installed (use Windows update).  Though it's not made clear by Dell, you DO NOT need the manager.  Go into your browser settings and delete all Dell cookies (or clear all your browser cache).  Then go back and choose "download using my browser" when you select the file for download.  You will then not need the Dell download manager at all.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I am not referring to the download manager. I am referring to the link posted about for the smartsource website. When I accept the terms, nothing happens... I'm using IE8, on Win7. I've tried clearing cookies, history, enabled .net framework, lowering IE security.. nothing seems to work.

• jt5o1,

I usually use a download manager. I have been using FlashGet for some time with no problems, except the stupid script error on their page.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I have been able to register in My Dell Downloads and download the software that is listed for my system.  I can't say why mine worked and yours doesn't.  I have XPS1640 laptop w/Vista 64 Home Premium, IE 7.  I just logged onto My Dell Dowloads because of a small paper that came with my systems' installation CDs.   I will advise (and will pursue this in a separate thread)... READ THE FAQ for My Dell Downloads carefully first.  I didn't.  It says that you are limited to using the facility only 2 or 3 times for each software title.  Only about 10 software titles were listed for my system.... several facial recognition software references, McAfee security, DVD writer software, webcam, etc.    What I had expected was a complete list of     all     the software that had come with the laptop.  The download feature gave a choice to Install or Write to DVD/CD, after the downloads were complete.  So I chose Install (naively).  For some titles, I received messages that the software was already installed and did I want to uninstall what I had first (to which I replied NO).  For another title (webcam), the install never completed... just hung IE.  So I have no idea what benefit I got from My Dell Downloads and am concerned that I have    used-up   one of the 2 or 3    allowed times (per title) to download.   In short, be careful what you do with this feature.  (When I have communicated with Dell Support in the past regarding downloading/installing new versions of software from their site, I was told.. if its working ok, why download anything new?).

• i got it to work i just needed to use IE8 and it worked fine i am using vista, hope you all get it to workBig Smile