Dell Backup and Recovery Manager

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Dell Backup and Recovery Manager

This question is not answered

Wen I got my new Dell Vostro 3700 Notebook, I immediately used Dell Backup and Recovery Manager to create system backup on two DVDs.

Now that I've added "stuff", I want to backup to an external hard drive without making it bootable - I've got other "stuff" on it - Manager says I can.

After about 30 minutes, after it's finished "Capturing the system image" and has started writing the backup, I get an error pop-up "Dell Backup and Recovery Manager is not responding", and the Manager restarts "Capturing the system image".

Here are the details ...

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Description:

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        AppHangB1

Application Name:                             DBRM.exe

Application Version:                           1.3.0.0

Application Timestamp:                     4c09036e

Hang Signature:                                 fe29

Hang Type:                                          6400

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional Hang Signature 1:          fe29bcca149d181dab5aacd0ef4e8ba1

Additional Hang Signature 2:          fb3e

Additional Hang Signature 3:          fb3e36db603000a5bdeda07fd5966d35

Additional Hang Signature 4:          fe29

Additional Hang Signature 5:          fe29bcca149d181dab5aacd0ef4e8ba1

Additional Hang Signature 6:          fb3e

Additional Hang Signature 7:          fb3e36db603000a5bdeda07fd5966d35

How do I create a system backup on an external hard drive?

All Replies
  • Use the Windows 7 Backup and Restore utility instead. Type Backup and restore in the Start box to open it. Make a system repair disk after setting up Backup with System Image to store on your external drive.

The Dell program is for making a repair disk to access the system recovery partition on the hard drive. That doesn't help if the drive fails. The Win 7 program will copy the whole drive, including the Recovery Partition to the external drive. You can set up regular backups and updated system images, too.

• Thanks for the info.

Yes, the first thing I did was burn recovery DVDs (two) using the Dell Backup and Recovery Manager.  However, I also wanted to be able to recover ALL the data on the hard drive if something horrible happened like a fatal viral infection or the drive crashed.

Silly me, since I went through several screens in the Dell Backup and Recovery Manager application to successfully set up the complete "C:\" hard drive backup, I ASSUMED that it would follow through and actually perform the backup - wasted a lot of time watching it sit and spin.  And there's NOTHING in the so-called "help" for the application, and NO HELP on the Dell website.

And yes, I did use Windows 7 Backup and Restore utility to SUCCESSFULLY backup the entire hard drive to a portable external hard drive.

• Mary G

The Dell program is for making a repair disk to access the system recovery partition on the hard drive. That doesn't help if the drive fails. The Win 7 program will copy the whole drive, including the Recovery Partition to the external drive. You can set up regular backups and updated system images, too.

I do not understand this thread.  I was about to use Dell Backup and Recovery Manager to create an identical bootable hard drive with a complete system backup on it.  According to the Dell Backup and Recovery Manager v1.2 Help,  " If you select a large External Storage Device, a check box labeled Make Backup Bootable? will appear. The process of making a bootable backup will erase all content on the external storage device. The default state of this check box is unchecked because the drive may contain content you do not want erased. Check this box only if you want to make the External Storage Device bootable (Dell recommended. A bootable backup is necessary to restore a backup image to a new or replacement hard drive in the event of a primary hard drive failure)." 

Although the user's problem occurred when not making the device bootable, your response implies that the Dell program won't work for that anyway.  And since the Dell program is well documented but the generic Windows 7 program is not, I am not even sure what it will do what I want.  Why would you also need a separate recovery partition if you have already backed up a complete image of the latest C: partition, since the recovery partition is only the original factory image?  If you can provide a reference to the Windows 7 Backup and Restore utility I would appreciate having it.

• I found this page by querying the Microsoft website:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/backup-and-restore

According to Microsoft, you can use Windows Backup and Restore to create a system image, but it doesn't say anything about making a bootable backup.

In return, could you direct me to the "well documented" Dell program information?  All I could find were very basic definitions of the backup and recovery functions.

I've always backed up my entire "C:\" hard drive (under Windows XP, using purchased "Backup MyPC" to backup to an external hard drive) to allow me to recover "lost" files (read "deleted by mistake").  On my new Windows 7 notebook, I was able to use "Windows Backup and Restore" to perform this backup.

• Dell's Backup program is not the same as Windows 7 Backup and Restore. You should use both programs, make both repair disks and save the Win 7 system image  to an external hard drive. Dell Recovery disks only work if the hard drive still has the Recovery Partition. 

• Yes, here is the documentation, there are four pdf versions, I used v.1.2. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SOFTWARE/DBRM/ You will find the instructions for making the backup bootable on p.12 of section 4 "Backing Up Your System.  Since my post I have made a bootable backup, and have already had to use it to restore several times since the Windows update disaster of May 11. However you will only need the boot capability if your internal hard drive fails. Also the external drive will be reformatted so you will lose anything on it, but I bought mine solely for backup purposes anyway.

• Dell recovery disks don't care what is on the recovery partition, they only rewrite the OS partition.  Check out the DBRM manuals in my previous post.

• Thanks a lot!  My notebook, which I bought last December, is running v1.3, so that's the manual I downloaded.

Starting on page 12, there are instructions for "Backing up your system", including a note that "... only your primary partition where your operating system is stored (commonly labeled C:) will be backed up."  It goes on to describe the steps that I followed when I tried (UNSUCCESSFULLY!) to back up my system onto an external hard drive.

I'm one of those old-fashioned folks who prefer to read the instructions BEFORE running a new application, so the downloaded manual is much appreciated, even though it's not exactly correct - been living with this kind of "documentation" for ages, so I should be used to it by now.

Since the first thing I did was burn recovery DVDs, I should be able to use them in a disaster, and then restore whatever else I need from my system backup on my external hard drive.

Again, many thanks!

• well, u can try this free system backup and restore software.

i've been using it for six mouth, easy to use and reliable.

it can automatically backup the system to an image, and when the system crash or attacked by virus, i can restore it from the iamge.

www.todo-backup.com/.../backup-system-partition.htm

• On my Dell Precision Workstation laptop, the Dell Backup and Recovery Manager software crashes upon startup. When I try to start it up, it shows this dialog box "Updating files", and then a .NET access violation occurs (program crash). The follow is the error message:

Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.

Index and length must refer to a location within the string.

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index and length must refer to a location within the string.

Parameter name: length

at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)

at BURA1.FormFlash.timer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5448 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

DBRM

Assembly Version: 1.2.1.0

Win32 Version: 1.2.1.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Dell/DBRM/DBRM.exe

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5447 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

DBRM.resources

Assembly Version: 1.2.1.0

Win32 Version: 1.2.1.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Dell/DBRM/en-US/DBRM.resources.DLL

Accessibility

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

System.Management

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.