Dell Remote Access Application - How do you remove it?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Dell Remote Access Application - How do you remove it?

This question is not answered

I downloaded and installed the Dell Remote Access application on my XPS420 - it is running Vista Home Premium, 32 bit with all the latest Microsoft fixes. Remote Access appeared to install correctly and I tested out the remote access from another machine on the same LAN, but because it was so slow I decided it wasn't really useable and tried to remove it.

It has proved almost impossible to remove. I have tried "Programs and Features" and I have tried running the uninstall from the icon that pops up in the task bar each time the system starts. However no matter what method I use I only get as far as seeing a Windows Installer screen coming up and saying that it is collecting necessary information and there it hangs for ever - this is with the green progress bar about half way across the window. process Manager shows no activity in terms of CPU cycles, paging or disk I/O. If I try to download a new copy from Dell I am told I already have a copy installed and I need to remove it using "Programs and Features", but of course this will not work. I have successfully removed Apache and PHP using "Programs and Features" with no problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what it is necessary to do to knife and fork this app out of my system - I could just delete the directories, run Sysinternals Autoruns and stop things starting and then run a registry cleaner, but just doing that would be a bit generalised and messy - I was wondering if anyone has any specific instructions for either enabling the standard "Programs and Features" uninstall to run or detailed instructions on the specific actions I need to take to remove it cleanly?

Thanks for any help,

Bernard 

XPS 420, 8GB, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit 

All Replies
  • Well in the absense of any replies and just in case anyone else is ever interested I just bit the bullet and deleted the registry entries and everything just disapeared, so its gone. There does not seem to have been any bad impact from doing this - just for interest the data I searched on and deleted in Regedit was F66A31D9-7831-4FBA-BA02-C411C0047CC5 I'm never sure whether these fields are unique to a system or the same for everyone.

Bernard

XPS 420, 8GB, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit