Clean Install of Ubuntu for Netbooks - How do I handle the drivers?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Clean Install of Ubuntu for Netbooks - How do I handle the drivers?

This question has suggested answer(s)

The hard drive on my Inspiron 1011 (Mini 10v) failed and I'm not sure that I want to use Windows XP again on the new drive I'll soon install, I'm seriously considering the Ubuntu netbooks edition.  My question is, after installing Ubuntu, what do I do about drivers?  How do I get the correct drivers installed?  My biggest concern is he wireless.  Thank you.

All Replies
  • Installing Ubuntu doesn't quite work the same way as with Windows. If you want visual tutorial, check out videos on Youtube that show you the process.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• Download the netbook version of Ubuntu, create a bootable USB stick and boot it. Choose the "Try Ubuntu" version. See which drivers work and which don't. If you can click on the Wifi symbol in the status area and see routers, then Wifi already works. If not, install to hard disk with the netbook connected to the Internet by ethernet cable. Ubuntu will then look for the drivers on-line. If that does not work, post specific observations on the forum and we'll go from here. Also, check Ubuntu forums at 

http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php

and

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks reports

Dell Mini 10v (Inspiron 1011)

Works very well; WiFi, webcam, sound, 3D graphics, USB, touchpad worked "Out of the box".. Minor problem with Microphone not working with pulseaudio, might just be settings.

Dell Inspiron 1545 - Ubuntu 10.10

Dell Latitude

HP Compaq nc6400 business notebook (R.I.P.) - Ubuntu 10.04

Asus EEE PC - Ubuntu

Shuttle XS35GT - Ubuntu 10.10

HP Pavilion dm3 - Ubuntu 10.10