Dell 4600 WinXP Home error message "unmountable boot volume" after applying updates and restarting

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Dell 4600 WinXP Home error message "unmountable boot volume" after applying updates and restarting

• Warning - This is my first time using any online forum! If I transgress any etiquette, let me know.

I am asking this for my brother-in-law. He has a new Dell 4600 with Windows XP Home Edition--hasn't has it for very long. He tells me that he was notified of some updates to apply (I am not sure if they were Norton anti-virus live updates or Microsoft updates or Dell updates). After the updates applied, he was instructed to restart the computer. When he did, he got the following error message: Unmountable_boot_volume   technical information Stop: 0x000000ED (0x82364e30, 0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong and what steps he needs to follow to clear up this problem?

Thanks!

Vicki

• Thanks for the link to the Microsoft Knowledge Base article. It took a while to work through it all, but I did get my brother-in-law's PC working. I had to boot from the WinXP CD, run the CHKDSK /r and then restart. Running the Chkdsk took almost an hour.

Thanks for the help!

Vicki