Won't boot up - Have Win 7 Pro OA product key but not Discs

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Won't boot up - Have Win 7 Pro OA product key but not Discs

This question is not answered

Sorry, I am sure this has been asked, but I could not narrow search.

My old Lat E6400 laptop crashed and needs the win disk to repair.

I don't have the original disc, my company was bought out. I have the product key but no tech support.

Can I use the Win 7 Home pro disk I bought for my home pc just to get it to boot up?

After I log into my HD security page, I get a windows failed to start and it gives 2 options;

Launch Startup repair - (requires disk)

Start normally - (Stop: 0x0000007B)

. If I can't use the disk I have, can I borrow one just to get it to start? I do not want to violate any MS license.

All Replies
  • If both systems are Dell and both have Windows 7 Home Premium then by all means use the Dell Reinstallation DVD.

It is likely that the Latitude with have Windows 7 Professional on it however. As you have the product key use a retail .iso from my wiki Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office Downloads. For reinstallation purposes follow my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7. Note Dell ControlPoint replaces Dell Quickset in the Latitude E series.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Yes, my home PC has Windows Home but the Latt was my work PC that I still use because it has Office licensed.

I also saw a MS "Fix it" download but I am not sure it addresses my issue. support.microsoft.com/.../922976

• QUick note. I bought a Win 7 "Vista upgrade" for my Dell Ins 531 so this may not even be an option to fix the Latt.

• Okay so what version of Windows on the Latitude?Windows 7 Professional?

What version of Office? 2010 Professional?

Do you have product keys for them both?

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Yes, I have product keys for both, but I do not have a Win7 Pro disk. My Insp came with Vista and I recently upgraded it to Win 7 Home Premium.

• In that case download a retail .iso and make a bootable DVD or USB. Download links and instructions are here. You may need to use phone activation but it should work fine.

Download links for Office 2010 are here.

It is probably best to use the 64 bit versions of both on this system.

Philip Yip

• P.S. if you are in contact with any of the former IT guys try and get them to fill out this form here with you.

This should transfer any warranty over to you. Once warranty is transferred to you can request Dell Reinstallation Media from here.

Although as I said you can use the retail .isos it is preferable to use the Dell Reinstallation Media.

Philip Yip

• The hard drive was bad. I bought a new one, reinstalled win 7 and it works great.

• Great work. Glad you are back up and running. :)

Philip Yip