Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop - AHCI Mode?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop - AHCI Mode?

This question is not answered

Is there a way to switch this model to run in AHCI mode instead of sata/ide?  I have installed a transcend ssd (ide), and installed windows 7, but it is recommended to be installed in ahci mode.  I cannot find it in the BIOS.  If anyone has information or has done this before, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

All Replies
  • The Inspiron's Intel 865 chipset supports SATA/AHCI, however, as SATA was just coming online when the 9100 was released, it is unlikely that a low-end line, like the Inspiron, would have been given the time, resources, and attention necessary to implement full Dell support for SATA/AHCI, which is likely why it is missing from the BIOS.  About your only chance would be to make sure the BIOS is up to date - if the option was not originally available and was later added, it would have been added by way of a BIOS update.  However, none of the release notes for any of the BIOS updates say anything about adding this functionality.  I'd say your 9100, at around 8 years of age, is just too old.