Drives

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Drives

This question is answered

Hi All

Just joined the forum so not sure if I'm in the right place ?.

I have required a old dell machine for a friend who as just pass away. his wife said I don't think it works he as not use for some time.

Thought I have look and see what I could do ?.

The hard drive did not work, it just would no start, so I put a new hard drive in, loaded Windows XP.

Now I think you know what I'm got to ask. I need the drivers. Can you HELP please.

I'm not the brightest closer to 70yrs old so the grey matter doe's not work as it use to. 

look forward to your replies.... Yours Toby

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • tobymarr

Hi All

Just joined the forum so not sure if I'm in the right place ?.

I have required a old dell machine for a friend who as just pass away. his wife said I don't think it works he as not use for some time.

Thought I have look and see what I could do ?.

The hard drive did not work, it just would no start, so I put a new hard drive in, loaded Windows XP.

Now I think you know what I'm got to ask. I need the drivers. Can you HELP please.

I'm not the brightest closer to 70yrs old so the grey matter doe's not work as it use to. 

look forward to your replies.... Yours Toby

tobymarr

Toby,

It would help to post more info., if the computer model is included in your post.

To find the Drivers for your computer, click on the Drivers and Downloads, listed under Support, at the base of this page and follow the prompts.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Drivers will depend on which model Dell you have.

Chipset Drivers should be installed Before any other drivers.

Then Directx June 2010

Then Service pack 3

Then the video.

Intel® Chipset Device Software

9.3.0.1019 Production Version

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20775/eng/infinst_autol.exe

ATI Drivers Require DotnetFX 1.1 and 2.0 installed at a minimum.

Download: .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package ...

Download: .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package ...

They also require Directx June 2010.

Download: DirectX Redist (June 2010) - Microsoft Download Center ...

And SP3 the Full Update not the Express Package.   Install Each Piece and REBOOT before installing the next piece.

Download: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation ...

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Thank you for the downloads. The only info I have is off the labels on the side of the computer.

Model : DCM

TAG [Admin Note: Service Tag Edited per TOU policy]  

Computer Model : V486/_S

CELERON ( R )

I also need drives and info on the monitor, as I cannot change the size it's stuck on 640 x 480, mecium 15 bit.

Thank you for the downloads. All installed and run all ok THANK YOU !.

Toby

• These are the minimum requirements for basic functionality. Actual requirements vary, depending on the system configuration and the programs and features that you choose to install. If you are installing Windows XP over a network, you may need additional available hard-disk space.

The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP :

Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended) (You have a 486. This is NOT a Pentium Processor)

At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)

At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive

Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse or some other compatible pointing device

Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600)or higher resolution

Sound card

Speakers or headphones

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• tobymarr
    Toby,

You seem to have a Dell Dimension 1100/B110 desktop, also the model number should be listed on the bezel around the power button located on the front panel 

Have you installed the Video/graphics driver?

Best to Install the drivers in this order,
    1-Desktop System Software
    2-Chipset.
    3-Video.
    4-Network Interface Card [NIC]
    5-Audio.
    6-Then the rest of the drivers and applications.

After installing each driver, you should restart the system. 

If you require info, on the monitor, you need to post the monitor model, this can usually be located on a label on the back of the monitor.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• No I need the Video/graphic drives if you can help, Please.

I also need the drives or software to set up the internet connection, I can hard wire  to my modem, if I can log on to the internet with the Dell I would be able update some of the Microsoft updates.

Sorry for any inconvenient.... Yours Toby

• tobymarr

Toby,

Are you using the integrated graphics, or is there a video card installed?

To find all the drivers for your desktop, go HERE and enter the service tag, then choose the operating system XP.

Please verify your computer's model number, this should listed on the front panel on the power button bezel.

Regards to the network connection, what are you using, a Dialup connection, or DSL/broadband?

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• using the Integrated graphic. the monitor is E176FP c. computer model Dimension 1100.

Network DSL/ broadband.

As  for click on HERE that takes me to the DELL page, ask to sign in. I'm unable as I have been unable to register, I got an error from Dell, so I email them and ask the error.

This was Friday and to late in the day as they finished at 13:00 and will check Monday when they are back at work.

( your time ) Thank you for your help, hope this info will help. Yours Toby

• tobymarr

Toby,

The Dimension 1100/B110 NIC [Network] driver 'Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection' driver, is HERE

The Intel Springdale G Integrated Video driver, is HERE

The Dell E176FP Monitor driver can be found HERE, but you may not need this driver, as Windows XP has a generic version for the monitor.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Thank you for the downloads, All working, very grateful THANK YOU !!!

• Toby,

That's great and I'm happy to have helped.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Can you help again Sorry !.

I'm using the Dell and connected to the net. so that's working, I have download some updates from Microsoft, but I need some other downloads for the dell.

I need download for the sound which is built in on the board.

also UK keyboard  101. the keys are in the wrong place: @ is shift 2 and " is at shift @ wrong way round.

Before just when to Microsoft and got the drivers for UK keyboard, but this doe's not happen with the Dell machine. Can you please help. Yours Toby

• Tobymarr, refer to my wiki here A Clean Install of Windows XP, this will take you through the install procedure step by step. Have a quick read to ensure that you have performed all the steps correctly. My guide is UK based.

Since you have done most of the install, you may also change the regional settings in the Control Panel from US to UK. Go to [Start] and select Control Panel. Next select Date, Time, Language and Regional Options.

Select customise and change to your own preferences (I have selected U.K.). 

Click OK and then select details to ensure the keyboard is also set to as your desired.

Select Add

Select the correct one from your list.

Select OK and finally change the top from US to your personal preference (or the American Keyboard layout will still selected).

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• For Drivers you need:

XP Service Pack 2

XP Service Pack 3

R121089 Dell System Software

R96614 Chipset

R104515 Intel Video

R133743, R69300, R98295 - Intel Modem or R73044, R72270, R98291 - Conexant Modem*

R105155 Audio

R105786, R91081 - Intel Ethernet

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.0 

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4.0

Dell Support Centre (optional)

DE051A01 BIOs**

* It is either one if the first one in each set fails to install then don't try to install the other 2 in that set and instead go for the others.
    ** You may already have this BIOs revision, be careful when updating the BIOs. 

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Thank you again up and running !! Thank you very much ! Toby