New harddisk and no windows installer cd, what to do?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

New harddisk and no windows installer cd, what to do?

This question is answered

Hi all

I bought a Studio 1735 some years back and last week my harddisk crashed, completly.

Now I have bought a new one but I have no Windows vista ínstallation CD, I still have the cd'key that followed the computer, but I need the actual cd, what can I do?

Is it possible to find one online, like a download, and use my original key?

Thanks in advance:-)

Carsten

Verified Answer
  • fireberd

If you are in the US,  HERE is the Dell page to requrest a set of discs.

I think he is from Europe (Denmark) and not the US.

Hi Carsten

You may download 3 files direct from Digital River (Microsoft's Online Partner) to create a bootable .iso image.

Once you have this you may create a bootable USB or DVD for reinstalling Windows Vista.

I have wrote a wiki Microsoft Windows Vista Official .iso Download Links. This wiki provides you with the download links as three files. You have the option to download the 3 files for 32 bit or 64 bit, English, German and French. Most likely you will be using 32 bit English. The wiki then tells you how to make the bootable .iso image from these 3 files and finally tells you how to make the USB or DVD.

Once you have this along with the 25 product key on your COA follow my complementary wiki A Clean Install of Microsoft Windows Vista. You may follow the optional step to erase with DBAN to clear the drive completely, not sure whether DBAN will be able to wipe your old crashed drive. Pay attention to Service Pack, Internet Explorer 9 and driver installation for best results. You will need to activate via phone.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

All Replies
  • If you are in the US,  HERE is the Dell page to requrest a set of discs.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• fireberd

If you are in the US,  HERE is the Dell page to requrest a set of discs.

I think he is from Europe (Denmark) and not the US.

Hi Carsten

You may download 3 files direct from Digital River (Microsoft's Online Partner) to create a bootable .iso image.

Once you have this you may create a bootable USB or DVD for reinstalling Windows Vista.

I have wrote a wiki Microsoft Windows Vista Official .iso Download Links. This wiki provides you with the download links as three files. You have the option to download the 3 files for 32 bit or 64 bit, English, German and French. Most likely you will be using 32 bit English. The wiki then tells you how to make the bootable .iso image from these 3 files and finally tells you how to make the USB or DVD.

Once you have this along with the 25 product key on your COA follow my complementary wiki A Clean Install of Microsoft Windows Vista. You may follow the optional step to erase with DBAN to clear the drive completely, not sure whether DBAN will be able to wipe your old crashed drive. Pay attention to Service Pack, Internet Explorer 9 and driver installation for best results. You will need to activate via phone.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Hi there

Thank you both for your answers, and yes I am danish:-)

@natakuc4 It seems like it's your solution I'm looking for, thank you very much for the help.

Kind Regards

Carsten