reinstalling XP on Inspiron 6400

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

reinstalling XP on Inspiron 6400

This question is not answered

I'd like to reinstall Windows XP in my Inspiron 6400 laptop. I have been through the dell website on how to reinstall, but I do not have a partition for the operating system and do not have a CD either.

Anyone know how I go about getting the operating system on a cd?

Thanks in advance

All Replies
  • If you are in the US, HERE is the Dell form to request "backup discs".  If you are not in the US, contact Dell support for your area and see if they have a similar procedure. 

If you are not qualified for the Dell disc (in the US) or the Dell for your area does not have backup discs you will have to buy a (legal ) Windows XP disc with a product key that can be activated.  You can download any needed device drivers from the Dell downloads using your service tag number.  www.support.dell.com

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• You can also borrow a disk from someone (if it exactly matches the version your Product Key is for), or you can buy one on eBay as well.

• You need to get a Dell Reinstallation Microsoft Windows XP CD from Dell or from eBay.

For this system you should also have a Dell Media Direct DVD.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.