Need reinstall disk - Warranty ran out

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Need reinstall disk - Warranty ran out

This question is answered

Hello,

In 2009, I bought a studio computer with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.  My warranty just expired, not too long ago, now my system is messed up, and I can't get a fix without a warranty.  I can't figure out how to fix my system, and I can't just download a 64bit reinstall, because (long story) my system now has 32bit windows running. (It was originally 64bit).  The support line told me to call the hardware department, but I can't find a number for them anywhere.  They did say that they could replace the disk, if I purchased another warranty plan, but the $250 was too much money for me.  Another support person told me that I could simply purchase the disk for $15.  Can someone clear this up for me?

Sincerely,

Nicholas

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Renewing your warranty just to get a replacement disk is silly - don't do it.

You can request one here - it is usually free (although I have heard of a small $15-20 fee):

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

There is NO reason you have given that would prevent you from downloading the media, then activating by phone:

www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links

• 2Fox

Hello,

In 2009, I bought a studio computer with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.  My warranty just expired, not too long ago, now my system is messed up, and I can't get a fix without a warranty.  I can't figure out how to fix my system, and I can't just download a 64bit reinstall, because (long story) my system now has 32bit windows running. (It was originally 64bit).  The support line told me to call the hardware department, but I can't find a number for them anywhere.  They did say that they could replace the disk, if I purchased another warranty plan, but the $250 was too much money for me.  Another support person told me that I could simply purchase the disk for $15.  Can someone clear this up for me?

Sincerely,

Nicholas

• Hello 210Steel,

In order to assist you, I would request you to elaborate the issue you are facing with your computer. Also mention the system model number. 

In case you are looking for the recovery media, I would request you to refer this article on Requesting a Microsoft Windows Reinstallation CD/DVD from Dell

Hope this helps!

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USIndia. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click "Yes".