Favorites quit working.

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Favorites quit working.

This question is answered

My favorites tab on on home page quit accepting new favorite links. When I try to save a web page nothing happens. Home Premium, Windows 7, explorer 9.

XPS8500

Verified Answer
  • Thanks, I reset the IE9 browser and my favorites are working again!  Now I have another question; why does all my windows open into a reduced size and I have to make them full page every time?

XPS8500

• Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, Run As Administrator.

All Replies
  • Have you tried resetting Internet Explorer and deleting the browsing history?

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• How do you reset Explorer 9 ?

XPS8500

• Try following the instructions here.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• I don't want to rest the whole thing and it was working fine last week. Is there another fix?

XPS8500

• Resetting IE is not the same as resetting (reinstalling) Windows.  Except for whatever (if any) changes you made to IE settings (Security, Advanced), you won't notice any difference.  PC problems - be they hardware or software - are often there in a moment.  Just because it was working before doesn't mean anything ... a file could have gone missing or gotten corrupted, a virus could have been installed, a block of the drive could have gone out, etc.

I would try what has been suggested first.  You might be able to resolve it by doing a System Restore to a previous point when it was working.  I would suggest running a full scan for malware with Malwarebytes.  I would also suggest a CHKDSK /R from your command prompt and SFC /SCANNOW to fix any file/file system problems.

• Thanks, I reset the IE9 browser and my favorites are working again!  Now I have another question; why does all my windows open into a reduced size and I have to make them full page every time?

XPS8500

• Windows remembers the last size of your window ... simply closing a full-screen window should remember it for the next time it is opened, but if it doesn't, then with only one window open (in full-screen), hit ALT to bring up the Menu Bar, click File, then Exit.

• Thanks but even after reseting the browser and doing what you said it still doesn't work.

XPS8500

• Have you done the following:

"I would suggest running a full scan for malware with Malwarebytes.  I would also suggest a CHKDSK /R from your command prompt and SFC /SCANNOW to fix any file/file system problems."

• I did a full scan but how do yo do the command prompt?

XPS8500

• Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, Run As Administrator.

• It looked OK, here are 2 snips; could the answer be int he folder options in the control panel?

XPS8500

• I don't know how to edit the above post or add the snips.

XPS8500

• Thanks flash, I reset ie explorer 9 again and finally got it working! Now my top toolbar is black but I am glad the programs open maximized .I tried pressing F12 and setting the window size but that didn't work........good now.

XPS8500

• Well that wasn't it. It was only a temporary fix because I chose to see full screen so it only opened to full size one time.

XPS8500