Vista won't boot after motherboard replacement

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Vista won't boot after motherboard replacement

This question is answered
The motherboard in my Dell Vostro 220 died for the 2nd time, and this time it's out of warranty. Not wanting 
another cheap/defective board from Dell, I bought a compatible Intel replacement from Newegg. After I put 
the replacement board in, Vista won't boot. Dell didn't provide an actual Vista cd/dvd, but rather their generic 
repair/driver cd, so I can't just reinstall Vista (32bit). I understand that Vista may have problems with the new 
motherboard, but didn't realize it wouldn't give me better opportunity to load new drivers from cd that came 
with the motherboard. Am I just screwed and going to have to buy a new Windows cd/licence? The log below is 
what Windows is reporting:

Problem Signatures
1 Auto Failover
2 6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000
3 6
4 196611
5 Bad Driver
6 Bad Driver
7 0
8 1
9 System Restore
10 0

OS Version 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Verified Answer
  • Ok, thanks to a thread on DANIWEB here's the solution to my problem - Hiren's BootCD (v15.1). Used miniXP to boot, and then run Fix HDD Controller app. This allowed Vista to boot far enough for me to run the driver cd that came with motherboard. Afterwards, life is good, Vista did not even complain about the new motherboard and licensing.

All Replies
  • Windows can't find a boot device. I get around this problem by installing drivers for a third party SATA card before using the Windows install with the new mainboard; the SATA card is used for the first boot, after which it can be removed.

In this case, you have not done this, and Vista does not have the option for a repair install. You may need to reinstall Windows. If your old motherboard works at all, I suggest you reinstall it temporarily, buy a third party SATA card like a Rosewill, and install that and its drivers. Afterwards, you can follow my suggestions, update the chipset drivers, and reactivate Windows.

Regarding the Windows OEM license, you are allowed to replace the mainboard in the event of failure with a like unit and  your actions are arguably within those guidelines.

• Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I could not load drivers ahead of time as MOBO was unresponsive. I don't know who they use as a supplier, but this is 2nd time in this Vostro, and my son's died as well. The PCs were never really opened up, or taxed in any way (they were Vostros, not gaming PCs), so no real reason to their demise. 3 motherboards in 3 years should scream QC problem. I will have to see if Dell will send a Vista copy for me to reinstall; otherwise, looks like I will be upgrading to Win7 via builders copy on a new SSD...

• I have one of these and I think the board is a Gigabyte G33.

Gigabyte is manufacturer of premium mainboards, so I'm surprised you're having this problem. I have a 220s I bought as a "barebones' in 2009 and it still works, although it hasn't been in use continuously.

• Ok, thanks to a thread on DANIWEB here's the solution to my problem - Hiren's BootCD (v15.1). Used miniXP to boot, and then run Fix HDD Controller app. This allowed Vista to boot far enough for me to run the driver cd that came with motherboard. Afterwards, life is good, Vista did not even complain about the new motherboard and licensing.

• Good call on the solution! I'd like to try that on an old Vista hard drive I have that I can't boot, because the drivers are for a long-ago chipset.

Expect Vista to prompt you to reactivate in the near future -- if you can't do it over the Internet, use the 1-800 line.

• This method worked for me as well. I used a tutorial on: 

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/move-windows-xp-hard-drive-or-change-motherboard-without-getting-blue-screen-of-death/2/

I also had to change my harddrive in the BIOS from AHCI to IDE for miniXP to see the drive.