Restore OS to factory settings...

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Restore OS to factory settings...

This question is not answered

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop (model PP23LA) running Windows XP. I'd like to restore it to it's original shipping condition but there doesn't seem to be any easy way to do so.

I assumed it had a restore partition that could be invoked during boot (at the Dell logo) by pressing CTRL then F11 then releasing both keys simultaneously but after trying this 10 or so times to no effect I'm guessing not!

I also used a partition management program to look for any hidden partitions on the disk and aside from 10MB of unallocated space there doesn't appear to be one.

As I also have no reinstallation CDs for this machine and it doesn't have a Windows sticker on the underside I've hit a bit of a dead end.

So is there any way I can restore this machine? I don't know if it originally had a reinstall CD but if so could I order a replacement? I know US based customers can do this but I live in Scotland.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

All Replies
  • You have to contact Dell Support in Scotland to request replacement disks. You can even borrow another dell XP disk--IF it's the same version of XP as yours. Use your own activation key if asked for it.

• withnail888

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop (model PP23LA) running Windows XP. I'd like to restore it to it's original shipping condition but there doesn't seem to be any easy way to do so.

I assumed it had a restore partition that could be invoked during boot (at the Dell logo) by pressing CTRL then F11 then releasing both keys simultaneously but after trying this 10 or so times to no effect I'm guessing not!

I also used a partition management program to look for any hidden partitions on the disk and aside from 10MB of unallocated space there doesn't appear to be one.

As I also have no reinstallation CDs for this machine and it doesn't have a Windows sticker on the underside I've hit a bit of a dead end.

So is there any way I can restore this machine? I don't know if it originally had a reinstall CD but if so could I order a replacement? I know US based customers can do this but I live in Scotland.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

Dell support telephones for the UK HERE, but it will cost, as you are not in warranty. You could try ebay uk, and get a disc off there, just make sure if you have HP, use a HP disc, as your product key on your system will be for HP.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.