Windows or Dell problem?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Windows or Dell problem?

This question is not answered

I have a problem with my computer. I turn it on and the dell logo shows up and then the welcome screen and then it goes to my desktop. It says it is installing device driver software but I can't click on anything. And after a couple hours it just stalls. I can't move the mouse or anything. Please help.

All Replies
  • What is the Model Number and Operating System?

Many Dell's come with hardware diagnostics, accessed by F12 at power on.  If yours has this, run a complete hardware diagnostic as a first step.

What happened prior to the problem?  Did you install or uninstall anything?  

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• It is an Ispiron 1545 and the operating system is windows 7.  What happened is that I turned on the computer the other day and after the welcome screen it started showing all different colors and not my desktop screen. So I turned it off and started again. Same thing. So when I started it again, I started it in safe mode. And my desktop screen came on and it said it was installing the driver software and it said it for about three hours and then it stalled. And I ran the diagnostic on it and it said everything was fine. And the day this happened, the day before it was working just fine. I did not install or uninstall anything before this happened. I have tried everything I can think of which isn't much. So that's why I am asking for help.

• Power down your PC. Then power up and tap F8 repeatedly as soon as you power up. This will take you to the advanced boot options.

You should get a screen like this. Select Last Known Good Configuration (advanced). See if that resolves your issues.

If not, repeat the above process and instead select Repair Your Computer, from the list select System Restore, pick a close time till before the problem occurred.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• I tried the last configuration and it didn't work and when I click on repair your computer the list does not come up where I can choose system restore. But I thank you for your suggestions.

• That's strange, it should be there alongside the factory settings. What happens when you select repair?

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• When I select repair it says windows is loading files and then goes to where it says how to start it up(in safe mode etc.) The booklet that came with my computer says that the factory restore option is not on all computers and I guess it's not on mine because I don't see it.

• You should get a screen like this once you select repair your computer, second option is system restore, bottom option is the Dell DataSafe.

Philip Yip

• I do not get that screen. So I have done everything and I don't know what I am doing wrong but that screen does not come up.

• That screen should be standard for a Windows 7 machine. If the factory settings are missing then all the other options on that screen should display. I can only suggest reinstalling Windows 7 my wiki below will instruct you. Note if you have valuable data on your machine do not format or use DBAN and recover it from the Windows.old folder after the installation. If you don't have valuable data wipe the computer with DBAN.

Philip Yip