Vista Reinstall - Product Key... HELP!!

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Vista Reinstall - Product Key... HELP!!

This question is not answered

I had a hard drive crash on my Dell Dimension C521 and had someone replace the hard drive. They were supposed to replace my OS and left me with a counterfiet version of Windows 7. I originally had Windows Vista, how/where do I find my Product Key Code and what do I have to do to get my original OS back? Thanks!!!

All Replies
  • The product key code is on the sticker that is on the back of your computer.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• I have a 7 digit number with a bar code. Is that it? Do you know I can download Windows Vista so I can type in the product code?

• It's not a counterfeit version - it simply was not activated.  The 7-character code is your Service Tag - your system's serial number.  There is a Dell/Microsoft sticker (on one of the sides) that has a 25-character code on it.  This is your Windows Product Key which you will need to activate Windows.

• I found the 25 digit product key. Now how to I get Vista back as my OS and enter that code?

• Sorry I missed the part where Vista was your original OS and whoever worked on you PC put Windows 7.  If you have a Vista DVD, the easiest thing to do is just boot to it, delete existing partitions, and install it from scratch.  If you don't have a DVD, you can try to download it at the link below (will require you to activate by phone - short and  painless):

en.community.dell.com/.../microsoft-windows-and-microsoft-office-downloads.aspx

Best thing to do though might be to take it back to this person that worked on it and have them install the OS they were supposed to in the first place, including activation ... for free.  If this was  your original agreement with them, then they should have no problem (if reputable) doing so.  Just don't pay them any money for additional work.

• I don't get the impression that whoever worked on the PC was suppose to put Windows 7 on it.

I think the OP wanted to just have his hard drive replaced and the original OS and everything else put back on it.

However, I could be wrong.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• I am under the same impression, but in case I wasn't clear in my post, let me rephrase:

Best thing to do though might be to take it back to this person that worked on it and have them install the OS they were supposed to in the first place [Vista, instead of Windows 7], including activation ... for free.  If  [installing the original OS - Vista] was your original agreement with them, then they should have no problem (if reputable) doing so.  Just don't pay them any money for additional work.