Spinning Blue Wheel of Frustration

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Spinning Blue Wheel of Frustration

This question is answered

Hi, my shiny new Dell XPS 17 laptop arrived 2 days ago, but I am having a Windows (7) problem...

Every 10-15 seconds the blue spinning circle by the mouse pointers sets off, for 5-6 seconds. You would expect this to happen from time to time when something is going on in the background, however it's happening ALL the time, i.e. every 10-15 seconds, even if no applications are open.

I have to admit I'm getting very frustrated by it.

Does anyone know why it is happening, and how can I stop it??

Thanks

Verified Answer
  • Sorry ... I didn't say it explicitly, but your drive needs to be replaced ... the SMART error should be sufficient for Dell to send a replacement, but they may have you run the full diagnostics I sent the link for (or the ones available from F12 during POST).

All Replies
  • I would first suspect a bad drive.  It is unusual, but not unheard of ... something could have happened during shipping, luck of the draw, etc.

Run the diagnostics on the drive (and the whole system - memory, etc. - while you're at it):

support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

• This can happen in the first few days of use on a new computer although every 15 seconds sounds excessive. It's usually caused by Windows Search indexing everything. It will happen whenever the computer is idle, but if you start using the computer, the indexing should stop. If you think it's acting abnormally or if it keeps doing this too frequently or goes on too long, contact Support. Hardware is warrantied for the full year, but software support is very limited--only up to 30 days or less, so don't wait. Don't keep putting the computer to sleep or hibernation many times during the day and allow it to finish the indexing. Open Indexing Options in Control Panel or type it in the Start Box to see how the indexing is going and change the settings if you need to.

• Thanks, ahead of running that diagnostic, I found a Dell "PC Check Up" program that was pre-installed. I ran it and everything passed... except for a "smart short self test" on the hard drive - with a resultant warning that the failre of it may be imminent. Guess I'd better speak to Dell support asap!

• Mary - thanks. Indexing options says it's complete, yet the problem persists so maybe it's not the indexing?

• Sometimes the drive short test (SMART) will tell you its status ... the diagnostics I gave you a link for are much more thorough and can detect failures before the drive's SMART sensor picks it up.

Lot's of stuff can happen during shipping to cause drive failures, but sometimes drives are just drives.  

• Sorry ... I didn't say it explicitly, but your drive needs to be replaced ... the SMART error should be sufficient for Dell to send a replacement, but they may have you run the full diagnostics I sent the link for (or the ones available from F12 during POST).

• Thanks - yes spoken to Dell and they ran tests and agree it needs replacing. Thanks for your advice flash1932 :-)