No "advanced boot options" in my PC?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

No "advanced boot options" in my PC?

This question is answered

So, I have a Dell laptop. The model is Studio 1747, using Windows 7. Not long time ago I had a virus problem with another computer and I gave up, because I was unable to repair it and I simply restarted the computer from the begining by using the Factory Image. I was quite easy, since the option appeared during the starting screen. Now, I was wondering if I could do the same with my Dell laptop, it's in perfect state, but just in case, it would be useful. I went through the things that I recieved with the computer and among them, I found the manual and it says that during the starting screen (when the Dell Logo appears) I had to press F8. Though, it does nothing, in fact the screen doesn't mention that F8 does anything. So I tried F12, which the screen says to "boot options". So I did, but all I had was the choice to boot from the hard drive or DVD/CD or USB and of course "exit".

That's the problem I' facing, my Dell laptop model Studio 1747 using Windows 7 doesn't show "advanced boot options" and I can't find how to restore from the factory image anywhere. Anyone knows where could I find this?

Here I got more information that could be usefull:

-There is constantly a USB port being used, it's the little device that connects my wireless mouse to the computer
- With the box, I also recieved two disks: An Operation System (OS) disk (contains Windows 7, I guess) and another disk called Drivers and Utilities. I don't know if they're actually what I need to start my computer from its original state.
- When I go to "My PC", there are 2 Hard Drives: OS and DATAPART1, but there is no "Factory image"

Any help, plz?
Verified Answer
  • Safe Mode is reached via the F8 Advanced Start-up menu.  The F8 hotkey is not part of the computer; the F2 and F12 keys operate on the BIOS of the computer, F8 is part of Windows.  That is why you must wait until the self test is over.  At that point the Dell logo disappears and you have about two seconds to tap F8, which tells Windows you want to go to the Advanced Start-up menu.  That is where you find Safe Mode and Repair My Computer, among a number of other choices.  Restoring the Dell image is normally in the Repair My Computer item.

Dell Forum member since 2005

All Replies
  • If you have the Dell image on your laptop you need to press F8 to reach it just as you did before.  F8 brings up the Advanced Start-up options in Windows, which means you need to press it just after the Dell logo disappears and before Windows begins to load.  Sometimes the timing can be tricky.

• What I did before was in another computer, it wasn't even a dell computer and I was a desktop and not a laptop.

What worries me is that I even don't know if I actually have factory image. I don't have a hard drive named "Factory image" in "My PC" on my DELL laptop, though my desktop has. I tried pressing F8 and it did nothing. Plus in the screen that shows the DELL logo, there are only 2 options: F2 for setup and F12 for boot options (which none leads to what I'm looking for). I even don't find how to go to "safe mode"!

• Safe Mode is reached via the F8 Advanced Start-up menu.  The F8 hotkey is not part of the computer; the F2 and F12 keys operate on the BIOS of the computer, F8 is part of Windows.  That is why you must wait until the self test is over.  At that point the Dell logo disappears and you have about two seconds to tap F8, which tells Windows you want to go to the Advanced Start-up menu.  That is where you find Safe Mode and Repair My Computer, among a number of other choices.  Restoring the Dell image is normally in the Repair My Computer item.

• Many thanks sir, this really helped me out. Indeed, it was about timing, I had like 2 seconds after the DELL logo disapeared (it showed a little white dash in a dark screen), I spamed the F8 button and it sent me to another screen where I had the option to repair the computer, go to safe mode and other options.

My question is now answered :)