Got a XPS 8100 with W7 Pro 64-bit and one of the unlucky ones that can't install the SP1 update.
Working with MS on the issue and been passed up one level. The latest suggestion from them is to borrow a W7 Pro 64-bit DVD and do a repair install. They first had me stop any Windows feature/program running before the install. One thing it asks is to check for updates before starting and I answered, NO. It went through all the steps, rebooted numerous times, finished and started the Windows SetUp. It asks again about updates, I answered, NO again.
The time was right but then it starts to setup the network or home for me and that's where it hangs. Power down and restart brings it back to the same hanging step repeatedly. Won't boot into Safe Mode because it says that I'm in setup mode.
MS suggested backing up desktop, favorites and PST files but luckily I had created HD images with a third party app plus Windows backup/image also. Looks like I "may" have to do a Dell restore unless MS can figure out where this plan went bad.
Just wonder if anyone has tried the repair install from a Windows DVD on a Dell with the OEM setup?
The "repair" with Windows 7 is not like the old Windows XP Repair. This only allows System Restore functions and basically fixes boot up problems.
I had to download the "standalone" SP1 and create an ISO disc (bootable disc) and use that to install on two out of three of my Windows 7 PC's due to on-line (windows update) failures. If you google the problem or do a search on the Windows 7 forum you will see lots of problems and potential fixes. But, I would give the installing using a disc the first try. Download the free Imgburn CD/DVD burning program as it will allow you to create an ISO disc. Click Me
SP1 Download Center
I am not a Dell Employee
Dell forum member since 2002
Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1. SSD drive. Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.
I had burned that SP1 ISO to a disc but never tried it as it just looks like all three different version SP1's in one. My CBS.log file shows a error 80073701 with a problem installing some of the print drivers included with W7 for Brother printer. The log shows the same exact problems if I try the WU SP1 or the downloaded SP1 for 64-bit.
I was hoping that the repair install would repair any problems with the print driver packages where my errors seem to come from.
I've tried almost every fix found anywhere on line with the exception of uninstalling all MS KB's, one by one. This isn't my first error but my third different one. Others were caused by missing and damaged files that are repaired now. SFC and CheckSUR find no problems now.
The SP1 ISO errors out as well!
If anyone cares, I tried the W7 Upgrade install from a W7 Pro DVD again but left my ethernet cord disconnected. Not sure if that was a problem for some reason but it did finish the install but it states that I have a not genuine copy of Windows. Without checking for any new Windows updates, I was able to install SP1. I connected to the internet and checked for any updates, installed a bunch. My XP Mode got jacked in the process but I remember there was a SP1 XP Mode Refresh KB and that fixed that problem.
I used the Dell key code off the tag on my box to activate and so far everything is working. I used backup images to flip back/forth between this install and a working image along the way which worked very good.
SP1 has been a problem for some. I recall seeing posts about it on the Windows 7 forum. Various methods have had to be used to get it to install, depending on the particular PC's installation - not a "one fix" for all.
I was getting "Missing SXS Assembly 0x80073701" error but many get this one for various reasons. Missing/damaged language packs is common and easily fixed but my particular case, I had missing/damaged built in printer drivers it appeared and there's no easy way to repair that, no download that is.