Lost Dell Reinstallation CD Product Key...

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Lost Dell Reinstallation CD Product Key...

This question is not answered

Hello,

I'm in the process of activating windows on my Dell PC... I'm using the installation CD that came with it... Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition including Service Pack 2... However, I can't find my product activation key that came with it. The sticker that was once on my PC had come off over time and I do not have my paperwork that came with the PC anymore as well. The reason that I had to use the CD is because I had to totally replace the hard drive... So, there is no chance of retrieving any product key info from there... My question is if there is any way that I can request another product key from Dell or what other options do I have. I have tried several Key generators... However, they were unsuccessful... Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated... Thank you for your time in reading this...

All Replies
  • Just install with the Dell reinstallation CD. You won't have a problem.

my Dells:
    Optiplex 3020 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Precision M6300 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Precision M6300 - Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa / Ubuntu 12.04.5 dual-boot
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3

• Unless the service tag is absent from the BIOS, Dell OEM factoryy Windows media will never ever need a COA/ activation key. It uses what is called SLP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Locked_Preinstallation

The COA you have is a legal "placeholder" and per Microsoft design is not usable to activate Windows.

There are only a few scenarios where the Dell flavor will not SLP install:

1) Service tag is wrong or absent from the BIOS

2) BIOS is not up to date, which means the SLIC entry for SLP is absent

3) Parallel install with a retail version

4) Sometimes caused by Windows security updates

• Hello,

I'm in the process of activating windows on my Dell PC... I'm using the installation CD that came with it... Microsoft Windows XP professional including Service Pack 2... However, I can't find my product activation key that came with it. The sticker that was once on my PC had come off over time and I do not have my paperwork that came with the PC anymore as well. The reason that I had to use the CD is because I had to totally replace the hard drive... So, there is no chance of retrieving any product key info from there... My question is if there is any way that I can request another product key from Dell or what other options do I have. I have tried several Key generators... However, they were unsuccessful... Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated... Thank you for your time in reading this...