Forums

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Dell DataSafe - 'Create System Recovery' won't recognise my USB flash drive

This question is answered

Hi,

I've just set up my new Inspiron Laptop and the "Dell DataSafe Local Backup-Basic Edition" popped up advising me to "Create System Recovery Media" to restore my system back to its original factory settings in the event of a critical hard drive failure.

It gives me the option to save this to a Disc or a USB Flash Drive.  I have a "Western Digital My Passport Essential" Portable Hard Drive that I would like to use for this, therefore I selected the USB Flash Drive option.  However, I keep getting a "No USB key detected" message.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to store the System Recovery Backup to my portable hard drive?  (I know a recordable DVD will probably by easier, but I don't have any, and don't want to buy a pack of them just for this!)

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Verified Answer
  • I think you may be stuck. It may be objecting to the hard drive because there's already data on it.

Got a friend who can give/sell you a blank DVD? Wink

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

All Replies
  • I think you may be stuck. It may be objecting to the hard drive because there's already data on it.

Got a friend who can give/sell you a blank DVD? Wink

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Your error is selecting a usb  drive. Windows sees an external usb hard drive as a hard drive, not a flash drive. Select that instead and it will work.

• Thanks Ron.  I'll just go ahead and buy some blank DVD's!

• Thanks Mary.  Unfortunately it only gives me 2 options - USB flash drive or DVD disc.  I'll just buy some discs and go for that option.

• Uninstall all "USB Root Hub" entries in Device Manager and restart system.

Start the backup application, new drivers will be installed and the software will be able to detect the USB drive.

Worked with Inspiron 3521 (May work for other models too), Sony USB 3.0 32GB USB Drive.

Good Luck!

Tejasvi Hegde

• Works on Inspiron 14 touch as well looking foward to trying it on other models. Thanks for the putting the solution out there for the rest of usGeeked

• Tried all of these, including the USB Root Hub idea, and no change. The program won't recognize the USB flash drive. Everything else does; it's just the Dell software that is too clever by half. Also, removing the USB root hub introduced other problems that took 20 minutes to solve, so give it a try if you're desperate but it may not help.

• BTW - using Windows 8's own "create a recovery drive" worked fine. It copied the recovery sector to a USB memory stick without fuss or problem. Just search for "create a recovery drive" among the settings in Win8. Unfortunately there's no way to test that the copied files will actually recover this laptop without actually deleting everything - and I'm not doing that voluntarily!

• This wouldn't help the OP, whose problem is that he/she wants to use a USB backup hard drive (not a memory stick), and the Dell software won't allow it.