XPS 630i Complete Restore Issues (Help greatly needed)

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

XPS 630i Complete Restore Issues (Help greatly needed)

This question is not answered

Well, I ended up crashing my computer last night to where I had to clear the CMOS using the JP2 method. I'm not at the point where both my hardrives have been re-formatted though, so I no longer have the ability to use the ctrl + f11 method of restoring my computer.

Also, when I press f8, the option of doing a repair is not there, the only way I have found anything to come up repair wise is if I boot from the CD that contains my operating system. My computer is now up at this point and running, but I would really like some kind of way to restore it to the dell factory settings. Is there a downlaod or anything I can do in general that will get me the results I want?

All Replies
  • The Dell Recovery Partition is not a user createable item, strictly a factory install. 

However, HERE is the Dell instructions on a manual install.     Any drivers that you don't have on the Dell supplied discs can be downloaded from the Dell downloads at  http://support.dell.com

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Ok, I was affraid of that. I put the Dell Drivers and Utilities disk in so I have whatevers on there. Should I download new BIOS drivers and everything or what exactly? I want my computer back to the way it was, or really just so it runs right.

I believe i've already manually re-installed everything and to best of my knowledge (which isnt very good in this field) I think I have everything set up right. I had to format my second HDD though and now im wondering if I set it correctly.

Also, any idea how they set the HDD's up in the first place? It used to show 2 HDD's. One that was I believe just big enough to hold all the windows system information, and the other which was a combined total GIG's available, less the ammount for windows. Now I have 2 HDD's showing their individual totals of about 230 gigs each. Does this matter/worth trying to fix?

• Look at the link I provided on the manual install and if you did everything listed then you have everything installed.  On a manual install, if you had any optional programs, they won't get installed unless you have the install discs for them.  There may be updated drivers on the Dell downloads, you can check by entering your Service Tag Number, but if everything is working properly any updated drivers are optional.  Keep in mind with the BIOS, it is a critical install as a failed/corrupted BIOS update and the ONLY option is to replace the motherboard.

I can't answer the question about the hard drives.  Do you physically have two separate hard drives or is it just one drive that is partitioned into two logical drives?

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Pardon the intrusion, but I thought I should add a note here.  The XPS 630i was frequently shipped with two hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration.  The User Manual for the machine is here:  XPS 630i Users Manual.  Click on the section titled "About RAID Configurations".  If you wanted to set up the RAID again you would need to do this before you installed the operating system.  Another thing you would need to consider is that the 630i requires nVidia drivers for the RAID; sometimes Dell shipped the Windows installation CD with these drivers slipstreamed into it, sometimes not.  If your CD has the drivers you should simply be able to boot from CD as usual and install the OS after you set up the RAID.  If not, Windows setup will not be able to find the hard drive.

Dell Forum member since 2005

• well, it's to late for me to do the raid setup then as I already have the OS installed and running. Im not worried about it though, i dont think it will make any difference. At least I hope not. Thanks for all the support, ive now run into a problem with Avast! anti-virus and I hope it's related to the program and not anything else. Guess we'll see.

• Sorry, one last thing, What you were saying about bios, im having a little trouble understanding what it is exactly you are trying to say, should I download the new drivers for BIOS? Yes or No?

• fireberd

I can't answer the question about the hard drives.  Do you physically have two separate hard drives or is it just one drive that is partitioned into two logical drives?

It's 2 separate hard drives.

• The file for the BIOS is not a driver; it is a flash update to the firmware on the main board of the computer.  Fireberd is cautioning you that if the flash update fails to install properly your computer will become inoperable.  The usual rule for BIOS updates is to ignore them unless you have a problem that the update will correct, or if your computer is under warranty so that you stand a chance of getting Dell to replace the main board at no charge should the update brick it.

If you wish to perform the update for whatever reason, make sure that you remove everything connected to the computer except for the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.  Also, make sure that no programs other than Windows itself are running when you execute the file.  You will find instructions for executing the flash on the download page for the file; you should read them carefully before proceeding.

Dell Forum member since 2005

• Ok! I just needed a little better understanding of what he was trying to say. I've had to deal with my computer crashing twice now (for 2 unrelated reasons) and I dont intend to try and bring it back from the grave a third time. So i'll take that advise and ignore the BIOS update seeing my BIOS appears to be running just fine.

• Can you tell me where the nvidia raid driver is available for download? I can't find it on dell's site and need to reinstall os on raid for this xps 630i. thanks.

• Should be this one:
    http://ftp.dell.com/SATA/nVidia_MediaShield_A08_R178505.exe