Favorites (bookmarks) for Internet Explorer 7 - best way to transfer to another PC

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Favorites (bookmarks) for Internet Explorer 7 - best way to transfer to another PC

This question is not answered

I currently use Internet Explorer 7 as my primary internet browser.  I have been using the same notebook PC (see below) for almost 2 years, but it is now out for servicing and I am using my backup PC (also a XPS M1330 with Windows Vista Home Premium).  I saved the internet bookmarks (Favorites) from the PC to an external hard drive.  The favorites folder has numerous bookmarks and they are carefully arranged with several layers of subfolders.  I would like to transfer the Favorites bookmarks to the backup PC with the subfolders intact.  I thought about simply merging the Favorites folder with the Favorites folder of the backup PC, but when I did this before for another PC, I recall the formatting of the subfolders was not saved and I spent much time reorganizing the bookmarks and their subfolders.  I also attempted to use the import-export function of IE 7, but this function seems to allow the import of only one bookmark at a time and without preserving the subfolders structure (I realize I may have not been using the import function correctly).  Is there a way to transfer the Favorites folder to another PC without disturbing the subfolders structure of its bookmarks?

Thanks much for reading and any suggestions.

PG

Dell XPS M1330 Notebook
Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5MHz CPU with L2 6MB cache
RAM 4GB
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB - 7200RPM
SigmaTel sound card with Soundblaster Audigy software
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS GPU

PG

Dell XPS M1330 Notebook
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2.5GHz CPU with L2 6MB cache
RAM 4GB
Western Digital WD5000BEKT 500GB 7200RPM HD

All Replies
  • If it were me, I'd simply drag the old Favorites folder on the external hard drive to the new Favorites folder location on the backup PC. This procedure will replace the Favorites folder on the computer.

• SEFrost

If it were me, I'd simply drag the old Favorites folder on the external hard drive to the new Favorites folder location on the backup PC. This procedure will replace the Favorites folder on the computer.

Thanks for your suggestion.  However, a while back when I replaced the PC favorites folder with the favorites folder I wanted to use, the subfolders formatting was not preserved and I had to spend much time re-organizing the folders back into their original subfolders structure.  I am looking for a way to replace the favorites without upsetting the subfolders formatting, but if such a method does not exist, I'll use your suggestion and re-organize the folders back to their original formatting.

PG

PG

Dell XPS M1330 Notebook
    Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2.5GHz CPU with L2 6MB cache
    RAM 4GB
    Western Digital WD5000BEKT 500GB 7200RPM HD