'Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt' - 0xc00000e9

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

'Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt' - 0xc00000e9

This question is not answered

Hi,

I shut down my laptop yesterday as it needed to install some updates. When I turned it back on several hours later, it came up with the following error message:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause."

It says that in order to fix the problem, I need to insert my Windows installation disc and restart my computer, however I do not have this disc.

It then says 'If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\systems32\config\system

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could fix this problem without the disc?

Thanks!

All Replies
  • Install Ubuntu and then do sudo testdisk and restore your old windows partition if it's missing.
  • The usual cause of this is a failing hard drive that has developed bad sectors.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, BACK UP any data you cannot afford to lose.  Remove the drive, mount it in a 2.5" drive case (EIDE or SATA as appropriate) and attach to a working system.  Copy the data you can still read to the working system's drive.

Then return the drive to the notebook and run a full (NOT quick) hard drive diagnostic (F12 at powerup).  The drive will likely report media errors - in which case, replace it with a new one.  You will need a Windows disc:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

• System registry file corruption mostly takes place while happens any fatal virus infection activity that infects operating system registry file. System boot failure together with inability to read disk are signs that denote system drive files corruption. That's why Windows operating system is not loading up completely showing such error message on the screen.  It you need to use reimage repair solution that will repair the corrupt registry file and delete all the invalid registry values created by the malware.

• were you able to solve the problem? if so, what did you do?