Can I reinstall Windows XP on a Dell from a generic OEM disc?

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Can I reinstall Windows XP on a Dell from a generic OEM disc?

This question is not answered

I'm trying to fix a friend's Dell Dimension 8300 that fails to boot into Windows with a blue screen of death (BSOD).

I've run some tests and the hard drive appears to be damaged and failing. I can't image the hard drive, chkdsk fails to complete, and a WIndows repair installation failed.

My friend doesn't have the system discs that came with the computer. I have a generic (not from a PC maker) WIndows XP Home OEM disc that I bought for a custom whitebox system.

Would there be any problem with installing a new hard drive in the Dell and then reinstalling Windows from the generic OEM disc, and using the Windows product key from the Dell?

I asked this question on another forum and someone else mentioned that the Windows XP discs supplied with Dell systems are tied to Dell hardware and that the Windows product key supplied with the Dell may only work with a Windows disc supplied by Dell.  Anyone know about that?

All Replies
  • The are correct the key on the Dell will only work with Dell disks. Your Generic OEM is not really legal either if you installed it on another system as that ties the disk to the PC it was installed on. It will install but you will have a heck of a time if not at all activating it.

Your friend should go HERE to request a set of backup disks.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Yes, I have done this several times. As long as the key on the box is for the same version of the software. If the Dell key is home home sp2 then the install disc must also be from an oem sp2 disk and not pro or sp1. Good Luck.

• It must also be a Dell OEM disc - you CANNOT use a disc from another OEM like Lenovo, Acer, etc.

• Davet50
    Your Generic OEM is not really legal either if you installed it on another system as that ties the disk to the PC it was installed on.

It ties the product key / license to the PC it was installed on.  The Dell has its own COA / product key / license.  I just want to use the generic OEM media, and the Dell's own product key / license.

It will install but you will have a heck of a time if not at all activating it.

In spite of the above, this is what I'm concerned about, as a practical matter.

Your friend should go HERE to request a set of backup disks.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.  If I could reinstall from my OEM disc it would be quicker, but if not I guess I'll need to request the replacement discs.

Yes, I have done this several times.

Ok, thanks.  So you're saying you've done this from a generic OEM disc, not a retail disc, correct?  The OEM disc is SP2.  I'm not positive about the Dell, but I'm pretty sure it would have been SP2.  The system was from about 2004 or 2005.

It must also be a Dell OEM disc - you CANNOT use a disc from another OEM like Lenovo, Acer, etc.

I'm talking about a generic Microsoft OEM disc that's not from any PC maker, what about that?

• I used a windows oem disk not Dell, HP or whatever brand. What must be considered is the version of the disk to the version of the cd. You will require W XP Home SP2 oem disk if that's the version noted on the Dell oem serial key. Good Luck.

• As long as the disc is an actual windows xp disc and not a restore disc from the manufacture you should be fine, just use the cd key on the side of the computer, you can activate it with no problem, i've done it before many times. 

• beamermt25

As long as the disc is an actual windows xp disc and not a restore disc from the manufacture you should be fine, just use the cd key on the side of the computer, you can activate it with no problem, i've done it before many times. 

Alright, even if the Windows disc is OEM (not retail), and even if the Dell shipped with SP1 and the disc is SP2?

• OEM is just key specific, but I will admit that i'm not 100 percent if the service pack thing is an issue.. I think i remember trying it out once but its been a while :-)

• ya