Downgrade from windows 7 to XP (Precision T7500)

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Downgrade from windows 7 to XP (Precision T7500)

This question is not answered

Hello everybody,

I just bought T7500 workstation. Right now it has windows 7 installed in it. For some reason, I want to downgrade it to windows XP. I'd be really grateful if any of you please inform me the following..

1. How to downgrade to XP? Should I buy another copy of Windows XP?

2. How to install windows XP on T7500? Should I just insert the DVD in the drive and reboot the computer from this DVD? Then install all the drivers and diagnostics and utilities tools? What is the process?

2. How to install drivers? Dell provided four disks with device drivers, diagonostics and utilities. I am not really sure whether these disks contain drivers for XP. Nothing is written in the disk (except one which is for Windows 7). Of course, I can download the drivers from Dell website, but how to install these drivers?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Saiful

All Replies
  • There must be a reason you want to downgrade. My guess is you may have driver problems. The CD that came with the PC has the Windows 7 drivers.

If your reason for downgrading is to run a certain program, you may want to look into a feature in Windows 7 that allows you to run a virtual Windows XP mode. You can find more info < here > about using the XP mode.

Allan Bach

• 1. You will need a new version of XP as your Dell key will not work

2. How to install XP on your Dell

3. How to reload your Drivers  You will find the drivers HERE

XP virtual mode will only work if : 1. you have a processor and bios with virtual technology, and  2. You have Windows 7 Professional or ultimate.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Thank you very much Davet50  for your reply. I do have a Windows XP prof. software (I bought it for another computer). I'll be working on it.

Cheers

Davet50

1. You will need a new version of XP as your Dell key will not work

2. How to install XP on your Dell

3. How to reload your Drivers  You will find the drivers HERE

XP virtual mode will only work if : 1. you have a processor and bios with virtual technology, and  2. You have Windows 7 Professional or ultimate.

• I have the same issue, I need to uninstall Windows 7 and install XP.  For me virtual XP works, but won't run our ERP software.   I have tried installing XP on our new Latitude E5500, but it loads the drivers and when it comes to the "starting windows" step, the computer errors out with a bluescreen hardware failure and shuts down.  I have tried it several times, and have a new HP laptop with Windows 7 that does exactly the same thing.  Makes me think it is related to the Windows 7 operating system, even though I am booting from an XP cd. 

Anyone know how to get around this?

• The issue is with the hardware. There is no native SATA drive support built into XP. A couple of work arounds. One is to boot into the bios and if present change the SATA mode to ATA. Not all the newer bioses have this feature.

The only other option is to obtain the SATA drivers for your system and then if you hava a floppy drive you can load them at the F6 promtp or the more perfered option of slipstreaming them into the install disk

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card

Forum member since 2003

• Thanks Dave, I was able to change the SATA mode to ATA for the Dell laptop, and it is currently working running the XP install.  On our HP laptop, it doesn't offer the ATA mode.  It is set to AHCI (as was the Dell) and the only other option is IDE.  Do you know if this option is a good choice or would that cause some other problem.

Thanks again, Roger

• IDE and ATA are the same thing. So switching it should solve that issues

Forum member since 2003