What Is That Taskbar Thingy At Top Of Dell Desktop (Windows 7)

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

What Is That Taskbar Thingy At Top Of Dell Desktop (Windows 7)

This question is answered

From day one there has been this large extra taskbar thingy at the top of my desktop.  It disappeared  without explanation.  In researching this, it appears this may not be part of Windows 7 at all, but something Dell installs?  It was larger then the real taksbar at the bottom of the screen, and had several basic icons like email, movie maker,  microphone icon, etc.

I assume everyone with a new XPS 9000 would see this if they have W7.

Verified Answer
  • You are correct. That is something that is not part of Windows 7, but something Dell installs. It is called Dell Dock. You could search your programs list to see if it is still there and start it up manually. Then right-click the dock and view the options. I believe there is an option somewhere to tell it to start automatically when Windows starts. If you are unable to find Dell Dock in your programs list, you can reinstall it. You should be able to find the download in the Drivers & Downloads page for your system (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads), or go to www.delldock.com.

• Thanks, I figured it out just before seeing your post and reset Dell Dock to start-up on boot.  

I remember seeing Dell Dock in the program menus, but didn't know what it was at the time.

All Replies
  • You are correct. That is something that is not part of Windows 7, but something Dell installs. It is called Dell Dock. You could search your programs list to see if it is still there and start it up manually. Then right-click the dock and view the options. I believe there is an option somewhere to tell it to start automatically when Windows starts. If you are unable to find Dell Dock in your programs list, you can reinstall it. You should be able to find the download in the Drivers & Downloads page for your system (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads), or go to www.delldock.com.

• Thanks, I figured it out just before seeing your post and reset Dell Dock to start-up on boot.  

I remember seeing Dell Dock in the program menus, but didn't know what it was at the time.