Dell XPS 420 Vista Ultimate 32 bit upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

Software & Operating Systems

Software & Operating Systems
Microsoft, Linux, Productivity software, discussion

Dell XPS 420 Vista Ultimate 32 bit upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

This question is not answered

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my Dell XPS 420 to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, however I have a few questions that I cannot get a clear answer on.  My computer has cleared the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor for upgrade, however a Dell technician says that my drivers do not have support for Windows 7 and to contact Dell on Call to figure this out.  

I would rather not have to pay per minute to resolve this possibly non existent issue, and am wondering if anyone has upgraded their Dell XPS 420 successfully, and what I may need to beware of compatibility wise.  

Also, if I were to upgrade to 64 bit support, does the 64x upgrade include a clean install ability (because I am running 32x), or must I purchase the full version of Windows 7?

Thank you very much for any help!

All Replies
  • If you're upgrading from 32-bit Vista (or XP), you must to a clean install (select the "Custom" installation option during the install process). And, yes, it is possible and legal to do a clean install with the upgrade media if you own Vista or XP.  

I doubt you'll have any problems with drivers; Win 7 seems to have most of what you need.  The appropriate Vista drivers (32- or 64-bit) will work for Win 7. Also, run Windows Update after you install. It will offer updated Win 7 drivers in many cases.

Here are clear instructions for almost any upgrade scenario you can think of. Much better than any help you'll get from calling Dell.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/

Just remember that you'll have to reinstall your applications and back up your data if you do a clean install rather than an upgrade from within your current OS.  But the clean install is the way to go... and MUCH faster.